Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USA Roaming

JohnMata
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, Does anyone know if you are able to add a data bolt on by the day in the USA? I know there is the travel bolt on for £4.99 a day but there are certain days i won't want it, and as i understand if you use your phone you will automatically activate it for the day.

Message 1 of 14
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@JohnMata 

O2 Travel is your only option other than to pay standard rates.....

However, you only get charged on the days you use it, so if you only use WiFi you won't be charged for that day. You only get charged for using data or sending texts and making calls.

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Welcome-News/Roaming-MegaGuide/m-p/1237122

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@JohnMata 

O2 Travel is your only option other than to pay standard rates.....

However, you only get charged on the days you use it, so if you only use WiFi you won't be charged for that day. You only get charged for using data or sending texts and making calls.

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Welcome-News/Roaming-MegaGuide/m-p/1237122

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 14

PhoneChanger
Level 30: Meditator
  • 1343 Posts
  • 65 Topics
  • 101 Solutions
Might be worth pointing out that based on reports on here the data speed is heavily throttled so it may be worth getting a local SIM for use while your over there...
Message 3 of 14

JohnMata
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for the replies, although that is really annoying. Previous proivers have allowed me to pick and choose. Might just have to work out how i'm using it, basically if i use my phone once a day that will end up costing me £70 on a 14 day trip, although I suspect that is exactly why they do it.

Message 4 of 14

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@JohnMata wrote:

Thanks for the replies, although that is really annoying. Previous proivers have allowed me to pick and choose. Might just have to work out how i'm using it, basically if i use my phone once a day that will end up costing me £70 on a 14 day trip, although I suspect that is exactly why they do it.

Agreed, though as said above, if you use plentiful wifi on any day, you wont incur the £4.99 charge

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 14

JohnMata
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Yeah, its just sod's law when you do actually need the data connection for an uber or whatever you'll be no where near wifi. Honestly the better option right now seems like getting a 3 PAYG sim as their roaming policy includes the US. 

Message 6 of 14

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@JohnMata wrote:

Yeah, its just sod's law when you do actually need the data connection for an uber or whatever you'll be no where near wifi. Honestly the better option right now seems like getting a 3 PAYG sim as their roaming policy includes the US. 

Yes, if your phone is unlocked that would be the best way to go @JohnMata (Or a local sim from AT&T or T Mobile)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 14

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@JohnMata 

One of our members @Bambino lives in the US now. (He used to live in London) so if he comes online, any advice he can give you will be the best. wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 14

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@JohnMata  A local sim from AT&T or T-Mobile is the best way to go. You can get 1GB of data from T-Mobile for around $10 per week, plus taxes. Just make sure your phone is unlocked before you travel. https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/Unlocking-an-O2-phone-to-use-a-different-SIM-card/ba-p/1...

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 9 of 14

Steve99
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I am in Florida at the moment, and roaming on an O2 tariff that includes the inclusive zone.  I have had no difficulty making or receiving calls, but the mobile data is absolute rubbish. My phone shows 4G mostly, but the speed is so heavily throttled it is hardly worth having.  I get messages and emails sometimes, but there is never enough speed to look at a web page.  Speed tests, when they work occasionally shows a connection speed of 0.2 Mbps or less.  I read somewhere in the blurb for the inclusive zone that you can use mobile data just like at home.  This is a very long way from the truth.

Message 10 of 14