Did you mean: 

Trying to add 3 new sims to my contract - failed credit check

mark308
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi,

I'm trying to move from EE to O2. I set up a sim only contract for myself yesterday which is set up / login details in place etc. I called O2 today trying to add 3 more sims to my account for my family members. A credit check was then failed with no reason given so I had to give up with that call.

Can somebody advise how I can get this resolved so I can give O2 some more business and move my family members?! One thread I found appeared to get resolved by @O2Emma so am hopeful she can help? Fingers crossed. 

From searching these forums, I can see that this is a VERY common issue with no obvious solution leading to much frustration. From other threads it seems that leaving it a few days / 30 days before re-trying makes no difference so I'm keen to try and avoid wasting time.

Thanks

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93262 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

O2 never divulge why a credit check fails

It has to meet their own criteria and is often unrelated to the credit agencies

Probably failed due to trying 4 sims in total

Not knowing how you can sort this out in the relatively near future

Personally I would be staying with your current provider or looking at another network

Message 2 of 13

mark308
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Well I appreciate your honesty at least! haha

It's hard to believe how difficult it is to change mobile phone providers in this day and age. Surely O2 realise the shortfalls of their systems and how much business it costs them?! Or maybe they're oblivious.

Anyway, let's hope somebody can propose a solution before my 14 day cooling off period is up.....

Message 3 of 13

Enlli
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 7086 Posts
  • 51 Topics
  • 1584 Solutions

Doubt if you will find a solution other than adding new cards one by one with a gap in between.

And before your 14 days are up have you tried O2 for actual coverage and data speeds in the places you visit? I would never advise movig supplier without an on the ground check. Being tied in to four accounts with poor coverage is not a nice prospect.

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 4 of 13

madasaf1sh
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 10573 Posts
  • 56 Topics
  • 3093 Solutions

@mark308 

It isnt unique to o2 , have seen this on Three, Vodafone and even EE, and the answer on all of them is the same as what @jonsie has said.

Also remember credit is never guaranteed, as well as o2 will be wanting to see some form of payment history from you. 

No one on here will be able to propose a solution for you, as this is a customer to customer forum., so sorry but its a case of try again in 30days or 3months time, or just do a 14day and move on. 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 5 of 13

mark308
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I did check their coverage maps in the areas I am usually and it appeared similar to EE.

For the record, EE are not brilliant - their prices are higher, the don't offer free roaming and their app is awful. Choices choices slight_smile

Message 6 of 13

mark308
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Understand what you're saying re 'credit not being guaranteed' but if you can get a mortgage/loan/credit card and have a faultless credit history, it's always a bit surprising to get rejected for 8 quid a month! Seems like systems failures rather than anything else to me.

Anyway, the replies received have given me food for thought if nothing else. 

Message 7 of 13

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93262 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12338 Posts
  • 95 Topics
  • 1146 Solutions

Please, please, PLEASE do not rely solely on the coverage maps @mark308 

These are computer predictions of how your signal should be, and not actually how it is.

As advised, order free PAYG cards and check the signal in the areas you are in - £5 to check the actual signal vs £000s once a contract is signed is a big difference...

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 9 of 13

Oxonian
Level 31: Resolver
  • 7412 Posts
  • 141 Topics
  • 25 Solutions

@mark308 

To add to what @gmarkj has advised, it is also work checking the customer forums of the other networks to get a flavour of customer service, network reliability and the like. 

If the O2 signal works for you, both Sky and Tesco are virtual operators that utilise the O2 network. And both seem to have reasonable reputations for Customer Service.  

Message 10 of 13