cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferring telephone number between family members

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there.

I have been a 02/BT Cellnet customer since 1998 and have been in my current contract since July 2005 (looong overdue an upgrade). The payments come out of my own bank account via direct debit, however... the contract is actually in my grandfather's name. He was kind enough to surprise me with a new mobile phone one xmas and wanted to pay my bill for a year (I know, I'm spoilt), so he opened up a contract in his name. After the 12 months was up, the bank details were switched to mine and it has remained that way ever since.

I have asked this question over the phone previously and via online support but have never got a definitive answer, I've since time slip by. My Question:I would like to keep the phone number attached to this contract as it has been the one I've used since 2005 and is on business cards etc. I would also like to have the contract in my own name. I have obviously been paying in full and on time since 2006 but this will not be showing on my own credit rating. I'm happy to stay with my existing handset and go for a sim only, I would just like to have the current number in my own name. My grandfather will happily confirm his agreement to this.

Can anyone tell us if this type of exchange is possible?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149013 Posts
  • 640 Topics
  • 28460 Solutions
I'm thinking the best way might be for your Grandfather to get the name changed on the account to yours then you can do whatever you want with it....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry. I've just realised that that second paragraph is a bit waffly. I'll rephrase.

Q) In light of the info in my first paragraph, would it be possible for me to switch the phone number to me from my grandfather? If a name on the contract itself cannont be transfered, is it possible for o2 tech bods to withhold that number and asign it to a new contract under my name?

Message 2 of 8

MI5
  • 149013 Posts
  • 640 Topics
  • 28460 Solutions
I'm thinking the best way might be for your Grandfather to get the name changed on the account to yours then you can do whatever you want with it....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 3 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks MI5. Do you know that it is definately possible to switch that simply? The folk on the phone/online have never given me a straight answer (I got so frustrated with being given the runaround that I put it to one side for some time - silly really). If it is possible that easily, I'll be simultaneously cross and relieved. Smiley Surprised

Message 4 of 8

MI5
  • 149013 Posts
  • 640 Topics
  • 28460 Solutions
Yes, I should be that straight forward. It would have to be your Grandfather that requests the change tho as it is in his name....
Message 5 of 8

MI5
  • 149013 Posts
  • 640 Topics
  • 28460 Solutions
There is an alternative that involves a PAC number port to a temp PAYG SIM card but try the name change first.
Message 6 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

As MI5 has said it will have to be your Grandfather that contacts them. 

I took out a second phone for my brother a few years ago when got back in the country just to help him out after a few months I phoned up 02 and changed the contract into my brothers name.

its all pretty starightforward but I did have to go through a few advisors as I guess it is not a common thing and they were a little unsure at first.

Message 7 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi guys. 

Thanks so much for your replies. That's very helpful. 

It's so frustrating though that we'd been told it wasnt possible but the online team and the phone advisor said that we would have to switch the contract over to a Pay & Go in order to do this. A phrase which includes the words "ar*e and elbow" springs to mind. Fingers crossed we can sort this out now as aside from this, i've been pretty happy with O2.

Thanks again folks.

Message 8 of 8