cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This is shocking!!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Had a call this morning, when I answered no one spoke. I’ve been having a lot of these calls lately, must have over 100 on my blocked list, but anyway, I rang the number back from a landline and a lady answered, I explained that her number had called me, she said no, I’ve not rung anyone but that I was the fourth person today to call her, with the same thing. She said yesterday she had about 10 people call her, who didn’t say anything when she answered. She then explained that her mobile, which is EE, had run out of credit and she was using it for incoming calls only!!! So, what’s going on?? How can someone make a call from a mobile that’s owned by somebody else?? Sorry, but I just find it shocking!!
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122826 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous I cant think of any logical reason other than EE may be having some network issues today and /or a system glitch....Not being with EE I can't think of any other reason....??

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Cleoriff!! I wondered if some scamming person/ company had bought this number, and was using it as a smoke screen??
Message 3 of 7

MI5
  • 144191 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27633 Solutions
Computer dialers can be programmed to show any number they like - even yours if they wanted to.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
How does that work then?? Sorry but I’m not very tech savvy!!
Message 5 of 7

MI5
  • 144191 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27633 Solutions
You just enter a number into the caller id field in the program.
That’s partly why you have so many blocked numbers on your phone because they keep changing the caller id each week.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 7

a_hcir
Level 5: Ponderer
  • 133 Posts
  • 17 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

As MI5 said, Caller ID has been able to be spoofed for a long time now by those who have direct access to the telecoms network.

This is used legitmately by some companies (e.g. so you know to call their main helpline rather than an individual who works there if one of their staff were to contact you) but it also gets used a lot by scammers who like to spoof legitimate looking numbers to avoid automated call blocking and make you more likely to answer, or sometimes complete gibberish.

I always dial back robocall calls (where you get called and the system hangs up on you because they don't have staff to answer) to give the staff some verbal, but 9 times out of 10 the number just doesn't work, despite looking legit.  

Message 7 of 7