cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text Messages - delay in getting through

Anonymous
Not applicable

Does anyone know why text messages sent between iPhones all using the O2 network are often delivered hours or even days late?

It can't be reception, because a group message sent to 3 people in the same road/office and 2 get it straightaway and the other gets it the next day or not at all?  

This is not a single occurrence.  We are now so wary of messages not gettig through that we are now asking the recipient to acknowledge receipt!  

It is also curious that I can have my phone sitting on my desk yet then receive an ansaphone alert when it didnt even ring.  Could this be a way od O2 generating income now that we have to pay for ansaphone messages?

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

With text messaging there is no guarantee for delivery being near instant, in fact there is no guarantee a text will be delivered.

As for the voicemail alert I can only assume that you didn't have signal when the call was attempted for whatever reason.

Message 2 of 14

Cleoriff
  • 122787 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous

Check your postcode for local issues : O2 Service Status

Also you could try cleaning the simcard or get a replacement from your nearest O2 store. They will swap all your details for you. (if more than one one affected it probably isn't a sim card issue...but worth a try...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 14

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions
Try re-setting your iMessage settings to help with texts.
Voicemail is a free call on contracts and some payg tariffs so I doubt O2 would be doing it deliberately, tbh wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sounds like they need a new SIM card, get one from your local O2 store, they will do the sim swap for you. Also when you ask for a new sim make sure you ask for a contract one or a payg sim
Message 5 of 14

jonsie
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6956 Solutions

From O2...

Manual network selection:

Forcing your mobile to logon to a different network, then back to O2 refreshes your mobile's connection to the O2 network and helps push through undelivered messages. To perform a manual network selection, in the 'Network Selection' settings of your mobile select 'manual'. Your mobile will search for available networks. Select Vodafone and you will receive an error message similar to 'Connection Failed'. Repeat this again, but select O2 and you will receive a 'Success' message or something similar. 

Provided there are no network faults in your area and your mobile/SIM are not faulty, any undelivered SMS will come to your mobile within a few minutes (for information on how to do this, check your user guide). 

Message 6 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
Any of you guys have experienced the same?
Message 7 of 14

MI5
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions
I've had stuck sms messages that only came through after a reboot and occasionally a call won't connect or comes back with "this number isn't available" but usually OK if you call back again.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 14

jonsie
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6956 Solutions

Cleoriff
  • 122787 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

It's an oversubscribed network innit. ...

Usually normally seen on NYE when millions of Happy New Year texts are sent. I have seen some of these messages come in 36 hrs later Smiley Frustrated

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 14