cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terrible signal strength, dropped calls, 3g/4g?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all,

Been with o2 for 7 years now. Switched to them when moved to a new home as they were the strongest signal and former (Tmobile) was dropping calls/poor signal.

I've noticed recently that my signal (still in same home) has gone to the dogs. Both inside and outside. I'm not receiving some calls, and some of my calls are getting dropped mid-conversation. Additionally my data drops as well very frequently.

I'm on the ancient 'Simplicity 20' with unlimited data. Because of its age I don't have access to 4g, my connection is 3g only.

My questions are; If I change to another 4G plan in theory will this improve my signal (i.e. am I getting poor signal because I am a 3g connection only).

My next question is, because of the excellent value of my current plan, will O2 price match/upgrade me to the same plan on 4G?

Any help is appreciated, sadly I'm at the end of my limits and the next step is getting my PAC and F'ing off to another provider.

Thank you

Message 1 of 13
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144516 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27711 Solutions
We've got a guide for that wink
https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-Pay-and-Go/How-to-get-your-PAC-2017-Update/ba-p/1052278
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

MI5
  • 144516 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27711 Solutions
You won't get the same deal with a 4g tariff and that may not even fix the issue.
Try switching to 2g only on your phone and see if that improves things indoors.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the reply!

I've tried that and still the same unfortunately. Popped sim into another phone and same thing. Signal ranges between -95db and -105db.....really poor...the o2 network status lists the area as all systems normal, i'm at a loss to understand how my signal has deteriorated so.
Message 3 of 13

MI5
  • 144516 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27711 Solutions
I assume your sim is quite old, so maybe worth trying a sim swap to sim if it's a sim issue?

Currently using:
Message 4 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
The sim's age has a direct effect on signal strength?
Message 5 of 13

MI5
  • 144516 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27711 Solutions
The cynical amongst us would suggest they were doing something deliberately to get you off the unlimited data tariff, but I'm just suggesting things you can try to eliminate possible causes.
There are many things that can influence signal strength.
Your local mast may have an issue, it may have been moved, something could have been built which is blocking the signal, etc, etc.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Heh, yeah you've actually read my mind, wouldn't be surprised if that was the case tbh. I use around 500mb of data pcm so i'm definitely not an abuser...hey ho.

I reckon at this point getting a replacement sim and trying to find a way to stay on a now-overpriced 3g tariff just isn't worth it. They've erected other masts nearer-by in the past few years for EE and 3.

PAC code it is! Thanks for your help.

Message 7 of 13

MI5
  • 144516 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27711 Solutions
We've got a guide for that wink
https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-Pay-and-Go/How-to-get-your-PAC-2017-Update/ba-p/1052278

Currently using:
Message 8 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ah yeah thanks, through to chat now actually. Cheers for your help
Message 9 of 13

MI5
  • 144516 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27711 Solutions
All the best mate....

Currently using:
Message 10 of 13