Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suspected phishing text

ChaJossa
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I received this SMS today although my bill is not due until 23rd May.

O2: Payment for your latest bill could not be processed by your bank. Please update your payment information via: <Link Removed>

I feel this looks suspect. What do you think?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions
Message 2 of 5

JulesnMel
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I'm getting a Domino's fake (smishing) sms, near daily, that wants you to call a specific number to stop the sms which I have looked up on the internet and it is in the Dangerous Category. The number CANNOT be blocked as it just says "Invalid Number". The number they request you to call is 07860020301. O2 MUST know where these text originate from? So why can they not stop them or even MAKE the number they want you to call or text an Invalid number so at least no one falls for the scam? If O2 did this then they would shut the scammers down fast. With the amount of Scams spoken of even in their own Community Forum it seems to me it is worth more to O2 to keep the scammers using their phone and data lines than having a dedicated team to stop these practices. 

Message 3 of 5

Cleoriff
  • 122822 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Hi @JulesnMel 

Forward the scam text to 7726  free of charge

Other ways to report here…. including Action Fraud website

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/safety-and-security/phishing-and-smishing-advice

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 5

JulesnMel
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I will be sending the next ones to 7726. Thankyou for the reply. I still contend that the onus is on the recipient of these scams to do something about the problem, when the problem would NOT exist if the carriers/suppliers of this service did a bit more on their part. I.E. The dedicated number to forward scam sms texts to. I didn't know that till looking hard for it on the net. It isn't readily accessible knowledge. Maybe you could state to "the powers that be" that a 30 second Ad on the tv with this info may be the way to go while these scams are so prevalent. Be a nice gesture to their customers. 

Message 5 of 5