Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sri Lanka

kevinbtmn
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I’m going to Sri Lanka at the end of October.I will not be making any calls or texts and only using WiFi.Will I still have to inform o2 that I am going abroad
Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@kevinbtmn Making or receiving a call whilst in Sri Lanka will cost you £2.00/minute, and receiving a text will cost 50p, so you're doing the right thing by not using your phone except while on WiFi. I suggest that to be certain, and to avoid any chance that you will connect to a network, take your sim out of your phone and put it in a safe place. You won't have to inform O2 of anything, and you can still use WiFi with WhatsApp or Skype or Facetime (if you have an iPhone).

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@kevinbtmn Making or receiving a call whilst in Sri Lanka will cost you £2.00/minute, and receiving a text will cost 50p, so you're doing the right thing by not using your phone except while on WiFi. I suggest that to be certain, and to avoid any chance that you will connect to a network, take your sim out of your phone and put it in a safe place. You won't have to inform O2 of anything, and you can still use WiFi with WhatsApp or Skype or Facetime (if you have an iPhone).

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Hi kevinbtmn
No, not at all. O2 won't even know if you put phone on airplane mode and then turn on wifi.
Keep it like that and there won't be any charges at all.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 6

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

I know you won't be using your phone, but for interest, these are the rates for pay montly. 

PAYG has no coverage at all in Sri Lanks so you won't be able to use one except on wifi anyway.

http://international.o2.co.uk/internationaltariffs/travelling_abroad

sri lanka.PNG

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 6

kevinbtmn
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks for all the repliy
Message 5 of 6

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
You're most welcome and welcome to the forum wink

Currently using:
Message 6 of 6