cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sim card pin

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello - does anyone know - how to put a pin number lock for the  sim card on  pay monthly contracts - phone user guide says to contact customer service but is there a default sim card number - then can change later- any help - would be great

Thanks

Martin_Hannah

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
thanks for your help - my sim card is now pin protected
Message 11 of 22

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
Settings >Security >SIM card lock

Followed that and then on mine it has Enter Pin to use device ...so would that mean every time I use the phone I have to enter the pin? Smiley Embarassed

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 12 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

I hope I am not going off topic here by advising all mobile users to make a note of the following information and keep it in a safe place for easy retrieval should you ever lose your phone or worse have it stolen:-

The PHONE's SERIAL NUMBER - usually available on the paperwork/invoice you get when you buy a phone or inside the battery compartment (if you have a make/model that has an accessible battery);

The IMEI number -  This is the International Mobile Equipment Identity number, and you can obtain it by keying in the following sequnce on the dialler -   *#06#    (that is asterix hash zero six hash). If you ,lose your phone or it is stolen phone O2 to report the loss and give them the IMEI - they can then block the phone so that it is unusable even if the "new owner" puts a new SIM card in it.

The PUK  code -   PUK stands for Personal Unblocking Key, and it's a code associated with a mobile phone SIM card. If you have entered a SIM lock PIN code incorrectly three times, the SIM card will be blocked and you will need a PUK code to unlock it. 

If you have registered for My O2,  the IMEI and PUK code should be available there, or you can contact O2 Customer Services or indeed a Guru on O2 Chat.

Gerry 

Message 13 of 22

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
In addition to Gerry's advice I'd suggest you also register your valuables here https://www.immobilise.com/index.php
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 14 of 22

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

Another worthwhile "freebie" is to register all your valued items on :

https://www.immobilise.com/index.php

Edit : Snap !........

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 15 of 22

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

@MI5 wrote:

Followed that and then on mine it has Enter Pin to use device ...so would that mean every time I use the phone I have to enter the pin? Smiley Embarassed

Some phones force you to enter a sim pin everytime you want to make a call whilst some just everytime you turn on the phone.

On the S3 you can also set up a sim change notification so that if someone takes your sim out and puts it in another phone it will send a text (to a nominated number) telling you.....

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 16 of 22

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Beenherebefore wrote:

Another worthwhile "freebie" is to register all your valued items on :

https://www.immobilise.com/index.php

Edit : Snap !........

LOL

Currently using:
Message 17 of 22

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

@Cleoriff wrote:

@MI5 wrote:

Some phones force you to enter a sim pin everytime you want to make a call whilst some just everytime you turn on the phone.

On the S3 you can also set up a sim change notification so that if someone takes your sim out and puts it in another phone it will send a text (to a nominated number) telling you.....

Thanks for that wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 18 of 22

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I hope anyone reading this now sets up sim lock pin. There are ways round it but it makes it very hard to run up a bill before you get the phone and sim blocked.

Message 19 of 22

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
It's a must for any contracts or any PAYG sim's with auto top up enabled.

Currently using:
Message 20 of 22