cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sim Swap

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I bought a PAYG “galaxy ace 2” yesterday from O2 (great price £129) and had a “SIM SWAP” from my old O2 PAYG SIM. The phone rings using my old number just fine, but when I go to "Settings" -> "about Phone"  “Status” the "My PHONE Number" still shows the number of the new sim not my old O2 PAYG SIM. I have got in touch with O2 and they say that my old number will showw eventually, possibly 24/48 hours.

Anyone else had this happen, and if so, how long did it take?

Regards,

George

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144409 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
Unless O2 have started pushing numbers to SIM cards (they never used to) the number will never change unless you do so manually. Easiest way is to put your SIM in an old Nokia that will allow you to write to the SIM card and change the number then put the SIM back in your ACE. Some O2 shops will do this for you (if you have a good one locally).
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

MI5
  • 144409 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
Unless O2 have started pushing numbers to SIM cards (they never used to) the number will never change unless you do so manually. Easiest way is to put your SIM in an old Nokia that will allow you to write to the SIM card and change the number then put the SIM back in your ACE. Some O2 shops will do this for you (if you have a good one locally).
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi MI5,

Thanks for that, O2 have told me that it will change in 24/48 hours. I will have to give them a chance:smileyhappy: If nothing happens, I will follow your advice and do what you have said. Thank you again:smileyhappy:.

Message 3 of 8

MI5
  • 144409 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
Let us know please - I would be interested to know if it's something O2 have started doing. Previously it was only Orange that did this.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, solved my sim number problem, I took the advice of MI5. I have a Samsung G600, so I tried  to see if I could change the number of my sim with it. I inserted my new sim into the G600, then( Menu – Phonebook – Select – Own Number – Select – Options – Edit – Options – Save.) I put the new sim into the “Galaxy Ace 2” and I now have my old number displayed.

Message 5 of 8

MI5
  • 144409 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
That's the idea slight_smile

Currently using:
Message 6 of 8

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Great to hear its all sorted George slight_smile

Toby
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 7 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

All dues to MI5  slight_smile

Message 8 of 8