Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sim Card only upgrade

Ruth57
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, I have upgraded my sim only contract, and the instructions say to back up all my photos, emails ect. before inserting my new sim card.  why do i have to do this, will it be a different number?

Ruth

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143435 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Ruth57 

Outdated information (as usual) from O2.

Swapping sim cards on a modern phone will not change anything apart from giving you a new up to date sim card.

Your new 5g sim should have your current number on it too, but if not, just do a sim swap when it arrives Guide: Sim Swap: a mini guide 2017 update 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 12

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Ruth57 if you're already on a sim only contract and all you're doing is upgrading, it shouldn't even be a new sim card, unless you've requested a 5G sim.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 12

O2Karl
O2 Support
O2 Support
  • 285 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 24 Solutions

Hi @Ruth57 

The only way you would have a new number is if you took a new connection out. If you upgraded you should be ok. 

Is your sim card still active in your phone? as sometimes we send new sim cards out just in the case you need a different size sim card as our sim cards come in Standard (Large), Micro (Medium)  and Nano (Small).

We put that warning on the package just in case something goes wrong when you change the sim card it's just to make sure you don't lose anything due to a software or hardware issue.

But if you have upgraded and have a new sim card sent to you its highly likely not activated and you should be fine with your old sim card.

Hope that helps. 

signature
Message 4 of 12

Ruth57
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi

yes my old sim is still active,  does this mean i do not have to change it to the new sim, as at the moment i cannot risk losing certain messages

Message 5 of 12

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143435 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Ruth57 

Your messages are on the phone but a straight tariff upgrade is done on O2's system, so there is no need for you to change sim cards unless yours isn't 5g and you need it to be.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 12

O2Karl
  • 285 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 24 Solutions

Yes @Ruth57 , it means you can continue using your old sim card. If all your paperwork has your existing number on it you have upgraded and that new sim card is inactive. 

Have a nice afternoon. slight_smile

signature
Message 7 of 12

Ruth57
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Great, thank you
Message 8 of 12

Ruth57