cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming charges

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm sure people have moaned about roaming charges millions of times in the past. However, I have just got back from holiday to find an increased bill this month. I had roaming and mobile data turned off as I left the UK. The bill only states that 3Mb were used, but at £7.20 a Mb I feel that there is something not quite right. My bill has doubled because of this, but I don't know how it happened.

I realise this is not exactly breaking the bank and it is unlikely to appear on the BBC news website anytime soon, but wondered if anyone had any similar experiences?

Thanks
Anthony
Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
Have you called customer services on 202 to question it?
If you turned phone off and on whilst abroad a little bit of data can be used whilst phone is booting up though, even with data turned off.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 20

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Unless you turned off mobile data in the UK, merely switching it on to turn off mobile data when in the US would have used data by background apps. 3MB does seem a lot in that scenario so was there a delay in switching it off ie. checking your welcoming or family texts? 

Speak to customer services or use the live chat link here :

https://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain

A sympathetic adviser may well refund as its a small amount and they will be able to see you haven't consciously used data any other of the remaining days away. 

Message 3 of 20

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

I note the non eu now £7.20 (from £6) and the £4.99 a day o2 Travel covers data I guess @Anonymous you did not have o2 travel on your account or visited an non o2 Travel country .

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 4 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
I was in Cuba, and had mobile data turned off as I boarded the plane.

I did use my phone for texts (to receive mainly) and kept on putting it into aeroplane mode to conserve battery. Perhaps coming in and out of aeroplane mode was the issue.

Not phoned customer services yet, just thought I'd ask to see if anyone had experienced anything similar.

I also think 7.20 per Mb is extortionate by the way. I pity someone who doesn't realise and spends a fortune.

Thanks
Anthony
Message 5 of 20

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
Airplane mode will do the same as turning off/on in terms of how it registers on the network so it's highly likely that was when data was used, albeit a small amount each time it all adds up at those prices!
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 20

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions
Message 7 of 20

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
Interesting.... which part of Cuba were you in or did you go to?
It's possible you picked up a signal from the USA or did your flights connect through USA?
What days are shown on bill for the charges?

Currently using:
Message 8 of 20

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

It's possible it picked up the airlines data though you would have to sign in normally for that. Interesting that thee new data price is £7.20. Outbloodyrageous and confirms that O2 is now all about the money. 

Message 9 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
The charges relate to the first three days I think which were when we were in Havana. They rest of the time we were travelling around the island. Pretty sure the whole time I was connected to cubacell.

And what's weird is that in Cuba they don't seem to have a data network like we do. A local told me it's state controlled and they only receive email. There is also no WiFi unless in a designated spot, no one has it in their homes apparently.

It's no great problem, the money has already come out of my account today. Not sure I'd get anything back off 02, maybe more trouble than it's worth. Just curious more than anything.
Message 10 of 20