Did you mean: 

Refused return during cooling off period

JoeChamberlain
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 8 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi,

Less than a week ago, I checked my upgrade date which was about 5 months away but an offer appeared where the remaining contract was automatically paid off if I upgraded now. I went to the store did the upgrade and picked up a P30 Pro. Great phone, but after much playing around with it, I'd prefer a S10+ and I also noticed a crease on the screen under the glass.

Today I went back and said I'd like to exercise my cooling off period, return the phone, mentioned the defect. All was well until the computer rejected my return, I could only have a like for like replacement due to the defect and not a different handset.

The reason being I understand is that I originally took out the previous contract, a couple of years ago with O2 through Carphone Warehouse. And apparently the cooling off period isn't valid for me with the early free upgrade offer now.

I'm pretty sure, my contract mentions the cooling off period and the sales advisor mentioned it when I picked up the l P30 Pro. I would have really thought twice if it was made clear to me there was no cooling off period.

Is there anything I can do? Can any consideration be made even if I agree to have a different phone and new contract?

This policy doesn't make sense to me. And I can't seem to find it anywhere. I'm really disappointed with the situation.

Thanks in advance.

Joe
Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Exactly what I was saying in my first post @gmarkj . Whatever the reason, every customer is allowed a 14 day cooling off/change of mind period.

It's pity it wasn't bought online then there would have been non of these shenanigans

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 11 of 20

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Cheers for the mention on this one @Cleoriff

It sounds like a tricky one @JoeChamberlain so I can ask our Guru team to take a look and get some clarification for you. 

I'll need some details so I'll send you a private message. 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 12 of 20

JoeChamberlain
  • 8 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks very much all for taking your time on this. Glad I dropped by. I'll stick around on these forums I think. 😊
Message 13 of 20

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10665 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

@JoeChamberlain wrote:
Thanks very much all for taking your time on this. Glad I dropped by. I'll stick around on these forums I think. 😊

Brilliant ~ hope that this discussion sees a very happy ending for you ~ best wishes TallTreesslight_smile

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 14 of 20

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@JoeChamberlain wrote:

Pleased to hear you will be sticking around @JoeChamberlain . This forum is a great place and we are a friendly bunch. Our managers also do their best to help when we can't..wink

So welcome again Welcome

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 15 of 20

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Glad you're going to stick around on the community @JoeChamberlain and I'll be in touch as soon as I hear back on your issue. wink

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!

signature

Message 16 of 20

JoeChamberlain
  • 8 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Pleased to say an O2 rep has been in touch to say they've given instruction to the store how to satisfy my return and give me the phone I want. Very pleased. Will pop there tomorrow!

Thanks again all.

To any other customer with a similar problem reading this. Please perciveer as I've done and I hope this works out for you. It might not work for all as our case my not be the same. But good luck.
Message 17 of 20

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
Good to hear common sense prevailed with the correct outcome!

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 18 of 20

Poppysmum
Level 19: Quirky
  • 1332 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 7 Solutions

@JoeChamberlain  Glad you going to get the phone sorted .

Message 19 of 20

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Thanks for letting us know @JoeChamberlain! cool Any further issues give us a shout. wink

signature

Message 20 of 20