cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Wifi/4g calling S7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello - I'm moving to a house with zero O2 signal at the weekend.  A few weeks ago I set up WiFi/4G calling with O2 however I don't have the WiFi calling option on my S7 handset.  After an hour on the phone with techies at O2 it seems that Samsung are issuing a software upgrade at some point in the future which will allow WiFi calling on the S7 on O2 purchased handsets, however the facility isn't available yet.  Martin, your comment would seem to contradict this - are you saying that my S7 should indeed have the WiFi/4G facility on the handset please?  Thank you.

Faz

Message 1 of 37
36 REPLIES 36

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @MI5 - you're talking to a girl that can service a motorbike, but who's a bit clueless about anything anymore technical than that!  Could you help me understand how I'd do that please?

Message 11 of 37

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149079 Posts
  • 640 Topics
  • 28465 Solutions

Should be a cake walk for you then.
Have a read through this first and see if you're comfortable with the process.
I'll link you to firmware later if you wish to proceed.

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Android-Devices-Samsung-HTC-Sony/HOW-TO-A-Guide-to-using-Odin/m-p/4634...

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 12 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @MI5 - it looks straightfordward enough - however there's a point where the battery needs to be removed from the phone and unless I'm barking, that's not possible with an S7 is it?

Message 13 of 37

MI5
  • 149079 Posts
  • 640 Topics
  • 28465 Solutions
Yeah, that's not applicable anymore.
You just need to do a soft reset now if it refuses to go into recovery mode.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 14 of 37

MI5
  • 149079 Posts
  • 640 Topics
  • 28465 Solutions
This is the firmware you need which is identical except for the o2 customization.
https://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/galaxy-s7/SM-G930F/O2U/download/G930FXXU1DQD7/168434/
Message 15 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable

Perfect, thanks @MI5 - another dim question however - when you say "soft reset" - how do I do that specficially please?

Message 16 of 37

MI5
  • 149079 Posts
  • 640 Topics
  • 28465 Solutions
Just hold the power button for about 10-15 seconds.
Message 17 of 37

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12599 Posts
  • 95 Topics
  • 1153 Solutions
Is it not just as easy to use Tu instead? That way you can call and send messages (SMS) - assuming you have/will have a decent-ish broadband at home...

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 18 of 37

jonsie
  • 93928 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 7017 Solutions

The TU app works great for me but the problem is that it doesn't for everyone. However as with everything O2 does these days, it's certain phones in certain areas that can benefit from wifi calling which is really annoying to people who have phones already provisioned with WiFi capability.

My phone has the option built in but my area isn't on the list, my phone isn't O2 branded and I'm annoyed that I can't use the phone to its full capability BUT I have TU if I need to use it and as you point out, it has text capability apart from the texts that my banks send. 

One day O2 will do something for All customers at the same time rather than only those buying the top end most expensive phones. 

Message 19 of 37

mavericke
Level 3: Thinker
  • 83 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

3@jonsie

I agree. TU does not work well for me though.

Once again, I agree that O2 should release the Wi-Fi calling function to all mobile phones that support the function. It is pretty sad to see that the iOS is leading the pack in enabling more devices for wifi calling and mobile provider's are falling behind with the Android OS. I have mentioned this in my other posting in this forum before.

Message 20 of 37