RPI - 2024

Dave-O2
Community Manager
Community Manager
  • 667 Posts
  • 42 Topics
  • 17 Solutions

Hey folks 

Every year, we adjust the prices of our products and services to be in line with the Retail Price Index (RPI) rate of inflation as is set out in your terms.

From April 2024, the monthly price of your mobile plan will be increasing. We will be letting you know so you can plan ahead and be prepared.

If you joined from 8 February 2024 then you will not see a price increase until April 2025.

This years RPI was published on 14 February and is 4.9%

Some more details can be seen HERE and in the below FAQs ↘️

Kollektif (1).gif

What’s happening?

More info
Each year we introduce an annual price adjustment to our mobile tariff prices for existing
customers based on the RPI (Retail Price Index) rate. In 2021 we introduced RPI + 3.9% for new
and upgrading customers. The RPI rate was published on 14 February. Starting from late February, impacted O2 customers will receive a communication informing them directly of their price increase.

Why are prices changing?

More info

This is a contractual term which we have to apply consistently, but in addition to this, we are facing
substantial increases in the costs associated with running our network and supporting our
customers. As well as impacting households, higher inflation has a significant impact on our own business costs – from energy to equipment.

We appreciate that price increases are never welcome, but with demand for connectivity greater than ever, it is vital that VMO2 is able to keep investing in the fast and reliable services consumers rely on. Customer demand for data has almost doubled in the last three years, so we are investing to increase network capacity and roll out 5G coverage, recently surpassing 50% of the population. We are committed to continuing to deliver the best possible value and experience for our customers.

How do you justify these price increases?

More info
We recognise price changes are never welcome, and always balance keeping our prices
competitive with the need to continue investing. We continue to provide excellent value for
connectivity our customers are using more than ever. For example, mobile usage was up by 26%
last year. We want to keep innovating and improving the services that our customers use and love. 

Hasn’t Ofcom said you can’t do this?

More info
Ofcom’s recent announcement and consultation don’t impact this price rise. Ofcom is currently consulting on its proposals to change in-contract price rises for future contracts,with a final decision set to be published in spring 2024 and any new rules to come into effect after that. We will of course comply with any new rules or guidance that may come into effect at the appropriate time.

Can I cancel my contract as a result of this increase?

More info
Customers aren’t given a right to cancel because of this price increase. Customers who joined prior to 25 March 2021, were informed when they took out or upgraded their contract that their Pay Monthly airtime tariff will be adjusted annually in line with the retail price index rate of inflation in their April bill. Those who joined or upgraded after 25 March 2021 were also notified at point of sale that their bill
will rise by the rate of RPI + 3.9% each April.

All customers are required to check a box when taking out a new contract/upgrade in store or on online, which confirms their agreement that the tariff will increase annually. Customers on the phone agree verbally to a mandatory compliance script they’re read by agents. This is also provided to customers in their T&Cs.

Customers on O2 Refresh can leave anytime by paying off their Device Plan. Customers who took out a contract after certain date can pay off their device plan in installments. However, just to remind you, if you took out your plan after 17 December 2021 your airtime and device plans unlink after 24 months, which means that after this point you can either continue with your airtime and device plan, cancel your airtime plan and continue paying off your device plan in instalments, or cancel both your airtime and device plan as long as you pay off your device plan in full.

I have a discounted tariff, do you apply RPI /RPI+ to the discounted rate or the original tariff?

More info
We apply RPI to the discounted rate that the customer pays each month.

Kollektif (2).gif

Which customers will have the RPI increase applied to them?

More info
The price adjustment will be applied to Pay Monthly, Sim Only, Watch & Mobile Broadband. Pay & Go customers aren't affected.

I’m on a non-Refresh tariff, will RPI be applied to my whole bill?

More info
Yes. On O2 Refresh, we only apply price change to the airtime portion of the bill.

Does this affect other services like bolt ons?

More info
The price of a Bolt On is unaffected. This relates only to the monthly airtime plan charge for
Consumer customers.

You can find more help and advice on this, including a useful calculator which will show you what your NEW monthly bill amount will be and how it's worked out HERE

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram

Message 1 of 40
39 REPLIES 39

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12122 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1126 Solutions

Really helpful summary this @Dave-O2 .

Are you adding a # tag so it can be referenced? Maybe "#rises"?

As a follow up, previously the date for signing up was end of March. This has, in this instance, been brought forward to February. Is this date going to be the same next year (so 8th Feb 2025) or is this still subject to change?

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 2 of 40

Dave-O2
Community Manager
Community Manager
  • 667 Posts
  • 42 Topics
  • 17 Solutions

Thanks @gmarkj 

RPI - 2024 is the tag that can be used 👍

Regarding your question this will be subject to change.

Message 3 of 40

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12122 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1126 Solutions

Thanks @Dave-O2 !

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 4 of 40

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 36270 Posts
  • 233 Topics
  • 1604 Solutions

You can find more help and advice on this, including a useful calculator which will show you what your NEW monthly bill amount will be and how it's worked out HERE

The most important bit for many: what will it mean for MY Airtime (Device Plan is excluded) or MY bundled (if purchased from anyone other than O2 direct) bill every month after April is at the link @Dave-O2 gives  HERE.

Good job, @Dave-O2👍

Message 5 of 40

Dino1968
Level 4: Observant
  • 81 Posts
  • 17 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I took out my new Sim only deal after paying of my handset - on the 8th Feb so I wonder if I will be hit with the 4.9% rise ? but im only paying a tenner month so its not gonna break my bank either way 😉

And thanks for the info - helpful ! )

Message 6 of 40

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6713 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1494 Solutions

@Dino1968 8.8% rise. You forgot the added 3.9%

Says from 8th April so you should be OK

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 7 of 40

Dino1968
Level 4: Observant
  • 81 Posts
  • 17 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

ah right yes see that now ) thanks 8,8 it is then.

Message 8 of 40

SB4092
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Dave-O2 wrote:

If you joined from 8 February 2024 then you will not see a price increase until April 2025.

@Dave-O2 does this also apply to new SIM ONLY plans on an existing O2 account?

e.g. If I take out a second 12 month SIM ONLY plan for a family member today (using my existing O2 account), will the price increase this April, or next April (2025)?

Message 9 of 40

Dave-O2
Community Manager
Community Manager
  • 667 Posts
  • 42 Topics
  • 17 Solutions

@SB4092 New connections from 8 February won't see any changes this year. You can find more on this HERE

Message 10 of 40