cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with Pay Monthly iPhone 4

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello All,

I am hoping that someone might be able to shed some light on a problem that I have with my iPhone 4. Over the last couple of weeks (I have had more than 1 year of trouble free service), I have been told by the people who call me that when they call me, they hear a very short ring tone and then my voicemail cuts in - I have no ringing on my phone. If they call again, then my phone rings and they get through no problems. 

I have contacted O2 Customer Services who first told me to turn voicemail off. After that, instead of one ring and then voicemail, callers heard one ring, then a beep and then nothing. Still no ringing o my phone.

A follow-up call with O2 resulted in a new SIM, but I still have the same issue.

Now, the real oddity is that if we go through the above process of the first call that does not get through to me, the second one that does, thereafter, calls get through first time. If I move my position (I am guessing to another mast) then I am back where I started. So it seems that the network does not know where I am until it has dumped the first call on a new mast, but thereafter it is fine until I move to a new mast.

Also, this is the situation irrespective of where I am, so it is not specific to my home and a specific mast.

Can anyone help me make sense of this and possibly give me some clues how to fix it.

Message 1 of 15
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

In case anyone else is reading this and thinking that it mirrors a problem that they have, here is the solution identified by the chap in the Apple Store, Reading. Don't have the phone in "Do not disturb" mode and expect it to ring!

Not being an iPhone user mysef (Android all the way :smileywink:), I did not realise that the small moon near the battery indicator meant that the phone was in a very clearver DnD mode that blocked the first call from a caller, but allowed the second one through.

Oh well, you live and learn - thanks to all who read the post and took the time to try to help.

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Have you tried lengthening the length of the rings before voice mail kicks in ?

How to do this is within this thread http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/How-to-Lengthen-Ringtime-on-any-O2-Mobile/m-p/36...

Also check your Service Status by inputting your postcode here http://status.o2.co.uk/ just to ensure your masts are working fine where you live, work and commute.

Try the known resets.

Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings and or Reset Network Settings.

Press the top power button and home button together until the Apple Logo appears and then let go.

One last resort would be a diagnostic at your most local Apple Store Genius bar http://www.apple.com/uk/retail/geniusbar/

Message 2 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi - thanks for your reply.

I have looked at the local service status and there are no issues. Also, I have now turned my voicemail off so it will now never kick in.

Message 3 of 15

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
This could be signal related.

Are you in a strong 3g area or a 2g area ?
Or has 3g become week and only 2g available ?

I ask as if in 2g only area and the phone is using data on 2g what you describe is normal behaviour!
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 4 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

We have a 3 out of 5 3G signal at home and generally good 3G coverage in the Bracknell area.

Message 5 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's a shame you have had to resort to turning off voicemail to get round this issue.

Personally I dont use voicemail but at least thats my decision.

Message 6 of 15

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149608 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28517 Solutions
I don't believe turning VM off has solved the issue ?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 7 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

Right - turning off voicemail has not solved the issue. The first call doe snot go through and does not record as a missed call. It is almost like the network does not know where I am until an incoming call. Once that first call has been dumped, it seems to be OK until I move (my guess to a new mast) and then the process repeats.

Message 8 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is your iphone unlocked so you could try another networks sim in it.

Or try your sim in another phone.

Process of elimination !

Message 9 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just tried a SIM from a Vodafone HTC - it seems that the iPhone is locked to O2 as it would not connect to the network. I have booked an Apple Store Techi Genius appointment for Saturday and will hopefully rule out issues with the phone then.

Message 10 of 15