cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help, somehow I've used 16gb of my 20gb data allowance?!?!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello, I'm new here. I got a text from O2 an hour ago saying I've used 16 gb of my 20gb data allowance! I haven't done any excessive streaming, watched the odd YouTube video here and there and I only use spotify at the gym while on wifi. I have an iPhone 6. Is there a way to see where the hell my data has gone?! I feel like this has to be a huge error.
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122909 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
It was o2 that changed the contracts to accommodate the shared data option.

That was it...Glad I have you to fill in the 'gaps' in my memory...:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 11 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

I shouldn't have shared data option, i'm the only phone on this plan...I saw someone say intentionally or otherwise, what do you mean by that? I have definately been on wifi when using spotify. My usage has normally been around 7gb a month, no idea why the recent spike. I did check usage in settings but I'd never reset it before so it showed my data usage on each app from the very beginning of me having the phone. I called customer service and got the usual run around "have you turend this off and that off". I have background app refresh turned off for all apps, my mail is set to manual not push. Even since last night with just casual safari browsing and instagram it is reporting that I have used 212mb of data.....seriously confused.

Message 12 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
Intentionality or otherwise. ....

Either have you accidentally added a shared data plan to your account or have o2 done it (whether intentionally or otherwise)?

Just thoughts
Message 13 of 18

MI5
  • 144315 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
O2 added a change to all accounts to enable the option of sharing data - Many customers didn't either know or request this change and that has caused issues with data not resetting from month to month.
Basically all your months data use since around Nov?Dec could have been adding up until now and you have only noticed because you received the text.
If you only had 100mb of data a month you would have noticed a lot sooner.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 14 of 18

Cleoriff
  • 122909 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

As @MI5  explained. The only way to find whether you have been put on a Shared data tariff is by ringing O2 CS to check and they will have amend if this has happened.

A couple of the posters on here had a similar problem. When they contacted O2 they found this had happened to them.....Just a suggestion...:smileywink:

Edited for spelling!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 15 of 18

jonsie
  • 93223 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

It's the most likely cause to be honest especially if your browsing and usage haven't changed from how you normally use the phone. Customer service will confirm if that's the case.

Message 16 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

oh I see, thing is I dont have any other devises on O2 that my data could be shared with....

Message 17 of 18

MI5
  • 144315 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Nor did anyone else - the issue was that it stopped data resetting every month so all your months just rolled on accumulating your data usage.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 18 of 18