Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone Usa In America

Jimmy_Harding
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

In 2 weeks im moving to America for univeristy but want to keep my current contract and just use whatsapp etc. to call home as i want to keep my same nuber when i go over there. I've been told after 3 months over there however my contract will get cancelled. Is there any way to keep my current phone and the same contract (just extending it,) or get a new contract and keep my phone and number and for it to still work in America for longer than 3 months?

Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144292 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27659 Solutions

@Jimmy_Harding 

Your phone will not be cancelled as long as you continue to pay your bill on time.

Just using whatsapp will also be fine but I would suggest you stick to wifi and keep airplane mode on.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

MI5
  • 144292 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27659 Solutions

@Jimmy_Harding 

Your phone will not be cancelled as long as you continue to pay your bill on time.

Just using whatsapp will also be fine but I would suggest you stick to wifi and keep airplane mode on.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 5

Jimmy_Harding
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank You!

So im assuming then that the data and roaming would cost a lot more then if you advise to keep airplane mode on? is there any way to get data coverage in America with 02? the state is Ohio.

Message 3 of 5

MI5
  • 144292 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27659 Solutions
Data speeds are pitifully slow and we always recommend a local sim for data use.
Whatsapp for messages is not even usable on O2 data in USA.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 5

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23059 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

@Jimmy_Harding  As you're going to be in university in the US for a considerable time, you'll really need to take out either a Pay & Go plan, or contract with a US provider. The two to look at would be T-Mobile or AT&T. You'll get good data coverage with either, and calls and texts within the US. You really don't want to be roaming on O2 for day to day use. As you also want to keep and use your O2 number for WhatsApp, and to receive calls and texts from the UK from the people who have your number, Your best bet would be to get a dual sim phone. OnePlus or Samsung would be the way to go.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 5