cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pay monthly payment change?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi
Basically I have 2 phones in my name and coming out of my bank account, one of which was my boyfriends phone, we have since split and I was wondering am I allowed to change the payment details to his account for his phone? Even if it's still in my name?

Thank you
Message 1 of 29
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

Yes you can. You could do it from My O2 or it may be better to call customer service on 202.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 29
28 REPLIES 28

jonsie
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

Yes you can. You could do it from My O2 or it may be better to call customer service on 202.

Message 2 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just bear in mind if the payments are not made it will still come back to you not him
Message 3 of 29

MI5
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
As soon as the contract is up you need to cancel it and hand him the number back so he can take his own contract - It's a liability you don't need going forward....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 29

Cleoriff
  • 122901 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

This is a very dicey problem you have now @Anonymous 

As stated, the phone is in your name and if your ex decides, for whatever reason, not to pay the bill, ultimately its your credit rating that will suffer....

Whatever you decide to do, you should phone O2 CS and get a note made on your account about your change of circumstances.

It wont absolve you of any responsibility...but you will have put them in the picture slight_frown

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm guessing I can't change it to his name?
Message 6 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

You may not be able to do this anymore as far as is known, although if he is happy to take on the contract it won't harm to ask Customer Services on 202 while your both on the call.

If your estranged then If you simply changed the payment details to his bank it would show up on his bank direct debit set up details ,and statement and he could simply cancel it ,and or make a complaint that this had been set up without his authorisation probably resulting in his Bank returning any taken funds ,and then O2 asking you for them funds. That's of course if he's being difficult with you.

As said the contract is in your name and one of the worst case scenarios is that O2 default on you, resulting in debt collectors and ultimately a default on your Credit File resulting in a default for 6 years possibly stopping any future credit type request.

Another consideration is that because the contract is in your name if the phone was supplied with that contract ,then it's your phone. You could ask for it back , sell it and use the funds to pay off either the older style contract which would be the remaining amount of months x the monthly fee minus any bolt ons, or if on Refresh pay the handset plan off and give notice to end the airtime part.

If he won't return the handset you could ask the network to imei bar it so it doesn't work and bar the sim. They then would send you a new SIM card so at least he can't run up any bills at your expense. If you do this when the new sim arrives from O2 you'll need to ring them back then to release the account bar so the new SIM card works.

I hope things get sorted out for you.

Take care.
Message 7 of 29

MI5
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
I'm guessing I can't change it to his name?

No, unfortunately that is no longer allowed, unless the contract is cancelled and re-started in his name......

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable

you can do a change of ownership, where you and he needs to phone o2 and they will credit check him and if he passes that line goes into his name and you are no longer liable for that number and handset... thats the only way it can be changed to his name if not like all the others have said it will remain your resoposibilty and your liablity untill either the contact is paid or it ends.. u can ensure that he has no access so change any passwords etc that way he cant doi a sneaky upgrade in your name or change any of the plan details.... 

Jay 

Message 9 of 29

Cleoriff
  • 122901 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

The problem with that @Anonymous  is the state of the relationship when it ended... (which we don't know)

If it was acrimonious....I can't see the ex be willing to take on anything to help the OP ...

You may be quoting the actual truth...I am just looking at the 'personal' reality Smiley Surprised

Sadly the way of the world when some relationships end slight_frown

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 29