cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pay & Go Tariff at home more expensive than O2 Travel from Europe!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am a low usage mobile Pay & Go user.  Only use calls & text - no data, between £5-7 per month on ORIGINAL tariff (basically Simplicity).  Recently I went to Italy on holiday and received a text saying I was on now the O2 Travel tariff. It was cheaper than the tariff at home - 10p instead of 12p for texts and 27p/min instead of 35p for calls!  How can it be cheaper to ring home from Italy than from the bottom of my road?

I have tried the CHAT service - a waste of time - they wanted me to upgrade to a £10 a month tariff so I'd get free texts, calls & data.  They didn't want to hear I only spend £5-7 a month.

Is it fair/legal/kosha to charge more at home?  Should I contact the Ombudsman? O2 doesn't seem much help.

Message 1 of 2
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

when roaming in europe the eu set a maximum charge for roaming calls but at home any network can charge what they want.

I think your complaint to the regulator would be a waste of time.

Until ofcom impose charging limits on the networks in the uk nothing will change.

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2
1 REPLY 1

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

when roaming in europe the eu set a maximum charge for roaming calls but at home any network can charge what they want.

I think your complaint to the regulator would be a waste of time.

Until ofcom impose charging limits on the networks in the uk nothing will change.

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 2 of 2