cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 won't unlock my S7 Edge I purchased from Carphone Warehouse

Anonymous
Not applicable

So I have been attempting to get my S7 Edge (purchased March 2016) unlocked by O2 for at least 6 months now. Every so often I press the "unlock my phone" button in the myO2 app but within an hour I get a text message telling me that O2 cannot unlock my device as it is not an O2 device. Having been rejected by this service for the 10th time I decided to give O2 a call and they told me that since the device hasn't come directly from O2 they can't do anything about it and I should get in contact with Carphone Warehouse. This sounded like a load of crap to me, but I checked the CPW website anyay and lo and behold it tells me to get my phone unlocked by the carrier I am with.

I was under the impression that O2 unlocked the devices of pay monthly customers for free or am I mistaken? Very, very dissapointed! Don't know

Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

darrengf
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

Have you tried another network sim in?

Carphone warehouse don't sell locked phones,  just place another sim in and you should be good to go.

Carphone don't even sell locked iPhones, but these do lock to the first ever sim you put in, so you do have to be careful and make sure you only put the correct sim in,  

o2 is correct. They don't unlock phones from carphone warehouse as they have no record of it being purchased by them and they can't unlock a unlocked phone. 

Please let let us know how you get on.

if you already have a tried another network sim, then please let us know the error. Essays your getting etc

Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

darrengf
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

Have you tried another network sim in?

Carphone warehouse don't sell locked phones,  just place another sim in and you should be good to go.

Carphone don't even sell locked iPhones, but these do lock to the first ever sim you put in, so you do have to be careful and make sure you only put the correct sim in,  

o2 is correct. They don't unlock phones from carphone warehouse as they have no record of it being purchased by them and they can't unlock a unlocked phone. 

Please let let us know how you get on.

if you already have a tried another network sim, then please let us know the error. Essays your getting etc

Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Message 2 of 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
Definitely not locked to any network so nothing to unlock.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

Aha well this is embarrasing. Just tried my mum's vodafone SIM and was able to make a phone call from it so turns out my device has been unlocked this whole time!

Strange, though. Sure it's on me that I didn't check this out first, but I would have expected the o2 customer service guy to have told me that "dude your phone is already unlocked" wink

Message 4 of 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
If you had asked us we would have told you that slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 5