cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't afford my airtime plan.

Anonymous
Not applicable

So basically, I bought an LG G5 last October with a contract in which I have to pay £38.50 every month. £10 for the device plan, £10 for insurance and £18.50 for the airtime plan. The problem is that I recently lost my job and am now getting a meagre £100 every 2 weeks on benefits. I can afford to pay the device plan, I have no problem with that but the airtime and insurance which makes up most of the bill are far too expensive for me right now. Especially when I don't even need them so it feels like a massive waste of what little money I have.

I tried cancelling them but because it's in my contract, I was told I couldn't do so. I don't see why not, I'll still be paying for the actual phone but I just won't have insurance or airtime anymore which I don't want or need, where's the problem with that? It seems like my only option now is to just continue paying the device plan and refusing to pay the other bills until they get the message. What other option do I have?

Message 1 of 11
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous You must pay the airtime as it is part of the tariff you signed. Just cancel the insurance side 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous You must pay the airtime as it is part of the tariff you signed. Just cancel the insurance side 

Message 2 of 11

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
You can cancel the insurance no problem, just call 202 and tell them to cancel it, but you cannot cancel the airtime unless you pay off the device fully first.
Once the device is fully paid you can cancel the airtime for free.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 11

jonsie
  • 92911 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Although technically the phone as yet doesn't belong to you, the best option is to sell the phone, pay off the device plan then cancel the airtime free. Cancel the insurance immediately but like the airtime you have to give 30 days notice so one more payment to make I'm afraid. 

Message 4 of 11

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9983 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions
Whatever you dont cancel or miss any payments as this will affect your credit, and o2 will send in a Debt Collection agency to collect the funds, they may also bar the handset and sim card..
- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 5 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

@madasaf1sh There is no maybe, They will do it

Message 6 of 11

PhoneChanger
  • 1343 Posts
  • 65 Topics
  • 101 Solutions
and this will effect your credit rating and any future requests for things like Mortgages, etc
Message 7 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

I tried contacting them again but it appears that because I have an outstanding bill, they refuse to let me use their services, nice of them. It seems the best thing I can do is take out a small loan and pay off the rest of the device plan then immediately cancel the airtime plan and insurance. Any additional bills they send me for services I haven't used, they can shove them up their hole. Thanks for the help anyway.

Message 8 of 11

jonsie
  • 92911 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Hope you get this sorted. At least you are doing your best to do things the right way. Good luck in seeking new employment too.
Message 9 of 11

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Insurance can be cancelled immediately so no need to wait until the device is paid off for that.
It's just the airtime that requires the device to be paid first.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 10 of 11