cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 refresh - pay phone off, keep airtime part going

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I think I'm right in thinking this, but just wanted to double check as the FAQ's don't make it abundantly clear. 

Can I pay off my phone plan at any time but still keep the airtime plan going?

E.g. if I paid off the phone plan for my iPhone 5s today, I'd pay off the remainder of the phone plan and then only pay for the airtime plan until such time as I wish to cancel, and said cancellation will be penalty-free? 

Thanks

Message 1 of 16
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes you can, I did that last week. I cleared the phone plan and will carry on with the airtime plan for the time being. If I decide to leave I can either request my PAC or give 39 days notice.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes you can, I did that last week. I cleared the phone plan and will carry on with the airtime plan for the time being. If I decide to leave I can either request my PAC or give 39 days notice.
Message 2 of 16

davethorp
Level 21: Regular
  • 1035 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 38 Solutions

Yes that's correct. Your phone plan will cease once it is paid off and you can continue the airtime plan if you wish or give notice at any time. You will also be able to unlock your phone once the phone plan is paid off

Message 3 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

As Davethorp says:  if you do pay off the phone plan then you can go ahead and request for the iPhone 5s to be unlocked, so it accepts any other Networks sim card.

The unlock request for contract customers is free.

Unlock Link ;

https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/help/help?qid=1&q1=2&route=unlocking&case=Handset%20Unlocking%20Form

Message 4 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. 

I'll have to have a think, because I have two lines and I'm considering paying them both off, but it will cost me some £713.09. I might then switch to GiffGaff and save £5 by buying their £12 goodybag each month. I hardly use any minutes but I do use a lot of data, and I'd effectively be swapping unlimited minutes for unlimited data + be contract free for once. 

Seems like a no brainer, I just don't know if I can convince myself to part with that much from my savings 😛

Thanks guys! 

Message 5 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

You're welcome.

It is alot of money to part with I agree and does warrant consideration.

Giffgaff does work off o2's network structure so in theory you should get the same level of coverage.

They are hopefully soon to get 4G too. March 2014 i believe.

Message 6 of 16

davethorp
  • 1035 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 38 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks. 

I'll have to have a think, because I have two lines and I'm considering paying them both off, but it will cost me some £713.09. I might then switch to GiffGaff and save £5 by buying their £12 goodybag each month. I hardly use any minutes but I do use a lot of data, and I'd effectively be swapping unlimited minutes for unlimited data + be contract free for once. 

Seems like a no brainer, I just don't know if I can convince myself to part with that much from my savings 😛

Thanks guys! 

Main thing I'd consider as the refresh loan is interest free is whether the money you would save by switching would be worth the loss of interest of the savings

Message 7 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's in a Santander 123 current account at the moment earning 1.6% interest (after basic rate tax is deducted from 2%). 

£713.09 * 0.016/12 = £0.95 per month interest, so I would make back the yearly loss of interest after 3 months if I switch. 

Yearly interest: £11.40

Yearly savings by switching: £60

Difference: £48.60 per year 

Of course such a difference is minimal anyway, it's the freedom aspect that's compelling me plus the fact I'll be paying less money for a plan that suits me better. 

Message 8 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds like you have all the bases covered.

What are you going to do ?

Don't know      Thinking

Message 9 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Sounds like you have all the bases covered.

What are you going to do ?

Don't know      Thinking

I think I've nailed it...

I'm going to pay off + cancel my O2 refresh contract and use my old pay monthly contract until September and THEN switch to GiffGaff. When I think about it, there's little point in paying off my old pay monthly contract and going to GiffGaff now because I would be paying £12 a month on top of the £37.15. 

Thanks for your input grin 

Message 10 of 16