cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 refresh - pay phone off, keep airtime part going

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I think I'm right in thinking this, but just wanted to double check as the FAQ's don't make it abundantly clear. 

Can I pay off my phone plan at any time but still keep the airtime plan going?

E.g. if I paid off the phone plan for my iPhone 5s today, I'd pay off the remainder of the phone plan and then only pay for the airtime plan until such time as I wish to cancel, and said cancellation will be penalty-free? 

Thanks

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Sounds like you have all the bases covered.

What are you going to do ?

Don't know      Thinking

I think I've nailed it...

I'm going to pay off + cancel my O2 refresh contract and use my old pay monthly contract until September and THEN switch to GiffGaff. When I think about it, there's little point in paying off my old pay monthly contract and going to GiffGaff now because I would be paying £12 a month on top of the £37.15. 

Thanks for your input grin 

You're welcome.

I hope things work out for you.

Message 11 of 16

davethorp
  • 1035 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 38 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

It's in a Santander 123 current account at the moment earning 1.6% interest (after basic rate tax is deducted from 2%). 

£713.09 * 0.016/12 = £0.95 per month interest, so I would make back the yearly loss of interest after 3 months if I switch. 

Yearly interest: £11.40

Yearly savings by switching: £60

Difference: £48.60 per year 

Of course such a difference is minimal anyway, it's the freedom aspect that's compelling me plus the fact I'll be paying less money for a plan that suits me better. 

Don't forget the loss of cashback too. You won't earn cashback on any payments to giff gaff like you do with O2. Although I suspect giff gaff will still work out cheaper but it's another thing to eat into the potential savings

Message 12 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

Heelo guys and girls. I left my job down south due to depression and moved back up north to be closer to my son. I wrote and explained my circumstances yet they still hounded me for payments. I have today paid off my phone but online it says I still owe 600 airtime. the phones have been disconnected. Is this something i still need to pay off? Many thanks in advance

Message 13 of 16

Cleoriff
  • 122927 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous As we have no access to your account we wouldn't know anything about the debt you incurred. You need to contact CS about this (avoid live chat with it being an account issue)

http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

Usually when the devices are paid off with Refresh you are free to walk away...but as I say we have no knowledge of your account.

Have a look at this guide my @Anonymous one of our members

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Discussions-Feedback/A-Guide-To-O2-Refresh/m-p/877701/highlight/true#M64851

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 14 of 16

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93236 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

If the device is paid off then call customer service and give notice to end the airtime. Until you do that they will be asking you for the full amount because you defaulted.

Contact us

Message 15 of 16

Peanut
Level 3: Thinker
  • 60 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
Yup. As has already been said, as long as the phone plan's paid up, you can cancel the airtime plan at any time without penalty.
I work for O2 but my comments and opinions posted here are solely my own and do not reflect those of Telefonica.”
Message 16 of 16