cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 refresh and airtime agreement charges.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

Last month I bought an iphone 5s on the refresh plan. Once I recieved the phone I called up and paid off the device plan. At the same time I asked for the airtime agreement to be cancelled. The bloke on the phone said it would be cancelled in a months time and at that point I could claim back any unused airtime charges.

I have had another bill sent to me today. Been on chat and I've had to ask for the airtime agreement to be cancelled as it hadn't been done. Was then put through to finance who just kept saying i'd served the cancellation period and a final bill will be generated soon. My point to him though was I shouldn't have ever been charged a bill as I requested for the airtime to be cancelled on day one, yet it wasn't carried out. I've now had 2 bills with a final bill due soon, can anyone suggest what I should do please?

Message 1 of 11
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

PhoneChanger
Level 30: Meditator
  • 1343 Posts
  • 65 Topics
  • 101 Solutions
@Anonymous you will need to have given 30 days notice for account closure, so you cannot join Refresh, cancel the airtime on day one and expect to pay nothing. Unless you are taking your number over to another network you would always be charged 30 days worth of service (this is in the T&C's).

If you used a PAC code to take your number to another provider than this terminates your account on the day the number move is processed (which can be within the 30 days, and in which case you would be charged an amount up to the date of the number move).

So 1 months charge is probably correct in this element.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

PhoneDoc
Level 14: Rising star 
  • 278 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 21 Solutions

Welcome to the community @Anonymous. Have you spoken to customer services over the phone about this?

Message 2 of 11

PhoneChanger
Level 30: Meditator
  • 1343 Posts
  • 65 Topics
  • 101 Solutions
@Anonymous you will need to have given 30 days notice for account closure, so you cannot join Refresh, cancel the airtime on day one and expect to pay nothing. Unless you are taking your number over to another network you would always be charged 30 days worth of service (this is in the T&C's).

If you used a PAC code to take your number to another provider than this terminates your account on the day the number move is processed (which can be within the 30 days, and in which case you would be charged an amount up to the date of the number move).

So 1 months charge is probably correct in this element.
Message 3 of 11

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
It's my understanding you must pay for the 30 day notice period, whether used or not. The only exception would be a return.
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 4 of 11

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

You will be charged for a month. As PhoneChanger says you cannot cancel a contract after a day and expect no charges. A month in lieu is usually a requirement.

Info on cancellation here https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Cancelling-Your-Contract-A-Guide/m-p/566774/hig...

And Refresh here https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Discussions-Feedback/A-Guide-To-O2-Refresh/td-p/877701

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's all perfectly normal & this was effectively you giving notice that it would end 

Message 6 of 11

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

Someone trying to use the system to beat it and got caught out.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 7 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, I haven't spoken to customer services over the phone yet. I used chat this morning to once again request my airtime agreement was cancelled. They then passed me through to the finance people. Do you suggest I call?

Message 8 of 11

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

Live Chat is not reliable when it comes to account issues. We always suggest calling.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 9 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Never use chat for account issues. They are best for low level enquiry 

Message 10 of 11