Did you mean: 

O2 mid term rise v ofcom ruling Facts

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Loads of threads over this but the salient points are

1 Ofcom rules apply from 23rd Jan 2014 and allow for price rises http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/2014/01/checklist-when-taking-out-a-new-phone-or-broadband-contract/ This line  beyond what you agreed to at the point of sale

2 O2 issued new T&C that apply from 23rd Jan 2014 that meet the guidelines above. http://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/mobile/our-latest-pay-monthly-mobile-agreement

3 On contracts prior to the giudline implementation date 23rd Jan 2014 the relevant T&C have it covered. the links below should confirm it. I.e. o2 can put it up by RPI.

aug 2013 - Jan 22 2014

(may2013-august2013)

(april2011-april2013)

Complainimg to o2 or ofcom will not exclude you from the rpi rises and in all the T&C o2 have the get out clause if above stated rpi.

These are the facts and however harsh you feel it only Ofcom are to blame and o2 have used the guidelines as implimented

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 1 of 47
46 REPLIES 46

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Well done to them if it is.:smileyhappy:

Very unlike O2 and their legal team to get it wrong.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 11 of 47

Anonymous
Not applicable
Given AshMason's very interesting piece above regarding RPI & RPIJ - are we expecting to see a partial climbdown by o2?

Or is this part of a general price increase happening across the industry with o2 being the first to take a kicking?

Mmmmm I wonder
Message 12 of 47

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Well the rpi is still published and may not be a national statistic but ofcom refer to rpi in the guideline and o2 do in the t&c o2 do not claim it to be a national statistic.

If o2 change anything it maybe to reflect the new standard.

But the fact still remains o2 can do what they have done in full compliance of the code(not law) and ofcom will not chastise o2.

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 13 of 47

Anonymous
Not applicable

Adam is right, because the figure quoted in all previous contracts up until 23 January is RPI, they've continued to use that figure.  There isn't any requirement to operate CPI or RPIJ figures.

Naturally, if RPI stops being a published figure then O2 would have to substitute it, but while it continues to be published then O2 will use it.

Message 14 of 47

Anonymous
Not applicable
If they have any customers left that is
Message 15 of 47

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
If they have any customers left that is

I'd wager that O2 have an estimated % of customers that they think will leave, in addition to the about 1% who leave each year for cheaper deals elsewhere.  I'd also wager that the % they have thought of will be single figures, and they'll be proved right in time, when offset with the % who join o2 from other networks.

The vocal minority is still a relatively small minority.

Message 16 of 47

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well we can only hope not and that O2 suffers where it hurts in the pockets which must be bulging
Message 17 of 47

Anonymous
Not applicable
This was broadly similar to the posts I put out two days ago about too many on the network so they can afford to lose a few cheaper end contracts etc (along with a few expensive ones I am sure)
Message 18 of 47

davethorp
Level 21: Regular
  • 1035 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 38 Solutions
If O2 are gambling on that the percentage of churn needs to be a very low 2.6% otherwise their revenue will drop.

Bearing in mind this will also hurt new connections as many more savvy consumers will not agree to contracts where rises are hard wired in when other networks are offering fixed contracts I cannot possibly see the effect on revenue being below 2.6%
Message 19 of 47

Anonymous
Not applicable
davethorp you are bang on.

After all the hype few will cancel. Most will either accept, receive a discount or move to the cheaper options like Giff Gaff and Tesco Mobile. Now let me see, which networks do they use? ??

Will we see them move on price or is this part of a longer move away from handset subsidy?
Message 20 of 47