Did you mean: 

O2 and VAT invoice

DaveG27
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi all,

Has anyone managed to get a VAT invoice for the monthly phone plan payments as part of a refresh deal.

As I am VAT registered I can download a VAT invoice for my call plan payments but there is no option for the phone plan.

I have spoken to customer services on 2 occasions, the first time I was told someone would get back to me but that never happened.

On the second occasion I spoke to a manager who after being on hold for ages came back and said I would get an invoice emailed to me every month. Nothing has ever arrived.

I have even been told there is no VAT which is obviously wrong.

O2 don't seem to realise that as a VAT registered company they are legally obliged to provide this to any VAT registered customer.

I have been unable to find any phone number that would bypass customer services and get to their accounts department direct.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 59
58 REPLIES 58

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144296 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Could you point me at the other thread?

Reference to here I believe ?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 21 of 59

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks.
Unfortunately, our accountant doesn't consider the credit agreement acceptable as a VAT invoice..

I should have ignored Refresh and gone for a normal plan instead - at least this would have avoided this mess. I did actually ask when taking it out if I'd still get VAT invoices each month for both elements and was told yes.
Message 22 of 59

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Ok write to o2 pointing out the information contained here

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/managing/special-situations/instalments.htm

And demand a full vat invoice for the goods to be issued yours is a conditional sale

this section

Credit and conditional sales and VAT

A 'credit sale' means the sale of goods which immediately become         the property of your customer but where the price is paid to         you in instalments. A 'conditional sale' is where you supply         goods to a customer but the goods remain your property until         they are paid for.

The basic tax point for a credit sale or a conditional sale         is created at the time you supply the goods or services to your         customer, which is when you should account for the VAT on the         full value of the goods. But the basic tax point may be over-ridden         and an actual tax point created if you either:

• issue a VAT invoice or receive payment before supplying           the goods or services
  • issue a VAT invoice up to 14 days after the basic tax point

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 23 of 59

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@adamtemp64 wrote:

Ok write to o2 pointing out the information contained here

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/managing/special-situations/instalments.htm

And demand a full vat invoice for the goods to be issued yours is a conditional sale

this section

Credit and conditional sales and VAT

A 'credit sale' means the sale of goods which immediately become         the property of your customer but where the price is paid to         you in instalments. A 'conditional sale' is where you supply         goods to a customer but the goods remain your property until         they are paid for.

The basic tax point for a credit sale or a conditional sale         is created at the time you supply the goods or services to your         customer, which is when you should account for the VAT on the         full value of the goods. But the basic tax point may be over-ridden         and an actual tax point created if you either:

• issue a VAT invoice or receive payment before supplying           the goods or services
  • issue a VAT invoice up to 14 days after the basic tax point

We've been studying the same pages, it does appear to be a "conditional sale" so a Vat invoice should be provided within 14 days.

Unless anyone else can come up with a better answer!!!!!!!

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 24 of 59

Anonymous
Not applicable

I would be more inclined to take note of this section (off the same link) as I think the Refresh Phone plan falls under this category, as Telefonica is providing the credit. Can your accountant not clarify this?

"Credit sales where you provide finance to your customer

If you offer goods on credit to your customer and you don't involve a finance company, you're financing the credit yourself. If you show the credit charge separately on the invoice you issue to your customer then it will be exempt from VAT..."

Message 25 of 59

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

There is no charge for the credit so no vat on the charges but vat on the supply of the mobile. This is why the vat point is mentioned in the document

there are 2 distinct issue the charge for credit nil

the handset price say £699 inc vat or £582.50 + £116.50 all goods sold cary 20%vat

Apple Watch series 4
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 26 of 59

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I would be more inclined to take note of this section

Don't be, you have cherry picked it which has changed the meaning of the phrase.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 27 of 59

DaveG27
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

As the starter of this thread I didn't realise it was still going but I thought I should update you on my situation.

After several calls to customer services I eventually got to speak to a supervisor.

He was adamant they could do nothing until I pointed out, yet again, their responsibility as a vat registered company.

After being put on hold for some time he came back and said a vat invoice for my phone payments would be emailed to me.

I didn't expect anything to arrive but low and behold I now get an email once a month with my vat invoice attached - result!!!

So they can do it but it takes a lot of patience and perhaps luck.

Message 28 of 59

Anonymous
Not applicable
I also have an update - had an email arrive yesterday from O2 with a VAT invoice for the phone payments to date!

Now to see if I get them for each subsequent month or not.
Message 29 of 59

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

rscott was that after the advice we gave on here?

Apple Watch series 4

Message 30 of 59