Did you mean: 

O2 Travel to Kenya

DB101
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

We have a pay monthly o2 account.

my daughter is Traveling to Kenya for 15 days. 

are I right in thinking she can get unlimited data/texts/calls for £6 a day with our contract.

if so. How do I activate this please ?

Will her network show as ‘o2’ in Kenya does anyone know please ?

any advice at all appreciated .

dont want to be hit with huge costs when she returns ! Thank you 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

Bambino
Level 85: Esteemed
  • 23558 Posts
  • 1035 Topics
  • 3750 Solutions

@DB101 Very expensive to roam in Kenya: Using Your Phone Abroad → O2 Travel Search Tool | O2

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 5

madasaf1sh
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 10689 Posts
  • 56 Topics
  • 3104 Solutions

@DB101 

Just to answer the second part, no the phone will not show o2, it will show the local network such as Vodacom, or MTN as examples, as well as "R" when roaming...

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 3 of 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 147156 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28297 Solutions

@DB101 

Cheaper options for travel to Kenya include:

A WorldSim https://www.worldsim.com/

A local sim purchased when in Kenya but will only be cheaper for data and local calls.

Using WhatsApp over a wifi connection to call and message anyone else with WhatsApp.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 4 of 5

Cleoriff
  • 124315 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7524 Solutions

@DB101 

As there are no roaming  agreements for Kenya with O2, you should tell your daughter to download Whatsapp or Messenger to her phone. Her friends and family at home should do the same. Then when she is in range of Wifi in Kenya, she can contact people over wifi using Whatsapp or Messenger. This will cost nothing.

Also tell her to turn Voicemail OFF before she travels.  (Calls which go to VM will still be charged, even if they remain unanswered).

Dial 1760 to turn VM off. (when she returns to the UK its 1750 to turn it back on.)

Hope this information helps and your daughter enjoys her time in Kenya. 😉

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 5