cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Refresh - How does it work if you do change phone mid contract?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I upgraded from an iPhone 5 to a Lumia 1520 at the start of the year and at the same time switched over to a refresh contract. Seemed like the perfect opportunity to try out a Windows Phone as I was getting bored with Apple and finding the size of the phone too small.

However I may have overdone it a bit with the 1520. It is a very large phone indeed! Its a great piece of hardware mind, but on balance it is just too big so I want to get something a bit smaller. WP8/8.1 is fairly nice as well but its not all I was expecting. Alot of the apps are pretty bad, even though I did my research and knew they had available apps, I didnt realise how poorly some of them are supported. One of the big draws was Office built in, but to be honest thats pretty bad as well. iOS and Android have much better Office experiences that are worth paying the Office 365 subscription for!!

So I am looking to get the HTC One M8.

I understand that I can just pay off the remainder of the phone plan. That is straight forward. However, when going through the upgrade motions on the O2 site, it then also asks me to pick a new tarrif and my only option is to stay where I am and recieve less minutes/data or pay £5/mo more and recieve more data! I am quite happy on my £33 (total) with unlimited minutes, texts and 1gb data. I don't really want to pay £38 for 2gb. I dont need it.

Additionally, there is no money down for the phone. While I dont want to pony up the full asking price, I dont mind paying some upfront, but again this option would take me down a few pegs on the mobile tarrif.

I thought you could just keep the tarrif you are on?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93174 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6966 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

To confirm - if the phone contract is paid off then you can leave o2 by simply cancelling the airtime contract, even if half way through a contract?

thanks

Yes for sure.

Message 11 of 11