cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Misleading Offer of 20% Student Discount

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am a student of the University of Northampton and renewed my O2 refresh contract in October last year. Despite applying for the discount twice and numerous calls to customer service who are based in Cape Town-South Africa, the company has yet to fix this mess. I went on to chat to the Facebook team and sent them a screen print to support my claim of applying twice and it also lead to no where.
Joining the network was the biggest mistake I have ever made. 24 months sounds like a lifetime but it's not and I will use my position and influence in the student union to campaign vigorously against students joining the network. I will publish the conversations and all evidence on social media to stop students from being duped by O2.
Message 1 of 22
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144409 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
The correct claims process is detailed here, only by following this route can you get your discount.
Facebook isn't one of the approved routes I'm afraid http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-Services/O2-Open-and-Friends-and-Family-Discount-Schemes...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

Either pay off your device plan & cancel your airtime or you can complain but really o2 haven't actually done anything wrong regards the actual contract 

http://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain

Message 2 of 22

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
Maybe I'm missing something, but if OP is entitled to the discount and followed the correct process to apply it, then O2 are at fault. Although the discount is not contractual, it was a key part in OPs buying decision and if the ombudsman were to review this, i'm sure they would agree.

I would register an official complaint, followed up with a recorded letter informing O2 you want the discount applied.

You could cancel but would still need to pay for the handset, as this is a different agreement and not eligible for the student discount.
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 3 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

The discount can only be applied within the first month of a new contract so if it falls outside of that then I'm not sure if o2 would waiver that 

Message 4 of 22

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
Upgrades also count. Op hasn't said when he first made the request. So I guess this will be the sticking point.
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 5 of 22

MI5
  • 144409 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
The correct claims process is detailed here, only by following this route can you get your discount.
Facebook isn't one of the approved routes I'm afraid http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-Services/O2-Open-and-Friends-and-Family-Discount-Schemes...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 22

jonsie
  • 93248 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

The offer isn't misleading in any way. If you qualify, applied within the first 30 days and have proof of the application then O2 should honour it. Good luck...

Message 7 of 22

MI5
  • 144409 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
Attempting to apply via FB was certainly a mistake....

Currently using:
Message 8 of 22

jonsie
  • 93248 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

Applying through Facebook? As far as I know that's a first and doomed to failure from the outset.

Message 9 of 22

MI5
  • 144409 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
No surprise that the discount wasn't applied - if only they'd have asked here first wink

Currently using:
Message 10 of 22