Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Highlighted
Anonymous

Re: O2 Debt Collection - Dispelling The Myths

[ Edited ]

Hi all

I have had correspondencefrom the Ombudsman regarding my complaint where I mentioned this "myth dispelling thread".

The response is as follows -

"You responded to O2 on 17 December 2015 quoting a “Debt Collection – Dispelling The Myths” section from its website. Having reviewed this I have found that this is not a communication from O2, rather, it was a post made by another O2 customer on O2’s forum and some of the advice within this post, mainly regarding the amount of times O2 would contact customers, is not reflected in O2’s terms and conditions."

So I am a bit lost at the point of the original post as it is not accurate and , infact, creates myths rather than dispels them? What was the source of the assertions in the original post? It is simply misleading and plain wrong.

PS - Please dont consider this as a pop at you Piperdog as I see you are very helpful and doing your best to help people. I am just curious as to where you have got your info from? If it is from an official O2 source then that would be very helpful to me.

Highlighted
Topics: 550
Solutions: 12,994

The original thread poster no longer contributes to this forum unfortunately so just letting you know that you may not get an answer.
If you send a private message to @Toby he will check any info for you.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
OnePlus 6 (O2 & Sfr), Z3 Tablet (Three UK), iPhone 8+ (EE)
Highlighted
Anonymous

Ok - thanks MI5.

Highlighted
Level 14: Rising star 

[ Edited ]

Very informative post @Anonymous. Thanks for taking the type to write it!

A year ago I sold a phone on eBay for the first time. I assumed any seller fees would automatically be deducted from payment, I was wrong. I also had an old email address, that I no longer used, registered with eBay. To my surprise I got a letter from a debt collecting agency months later, asking for payment. I logged into that old email address, and sure enough, literally a dozen emails from eBay patiently asking for payment over the space of several months.

Just goes to show, these things can happen easily and inadvertantly if you're not careful. Fortunately I learnt my lesson the easy way, as no credit agreements were involved.

Edit: this threads a year old. whoooops...

I work for O2 but my comments and opinions posted here are solely my own and do not reflect those of Telefonica.
Highlighted
Topics: 113

@PhoneDoc wrote:

Edit: this threads a year old. whoooops...

Another mistake that's easily made !

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Highlighted
Topics: 738

[ Edited ]

Yes @Anonymous moved to BT so no longer posts on this forum as said above by @MI5.....a sad loss really.

*The Game Is On*

Most-Helpful-MemberFriendliest-MemberMost-Useful-GuideBest-Feedbacker
Highlighted
Anonymous

Sadly Piperdogs post is not correct in this instance. O2 didnt make the slightest effort to contact me and admitted so.

As the Ombudsman states

"You responded to O2 on 17 December 2015 quoting a “Debt Collection – Dispelling The Myths” section from its website. Having reviewed this I have found that this is not a communication from O2, rather, it was a post made by another O2 customer on O2’s forum and some of the advice within this post, mainly regarding the amount of times O2 would contact customers, is not reflected in O2’s terms and conditions"

So it appears that Piperdog is creating myths rather than dispelling them in this instance.

Highlighted
Level 1: Joiner

I can clarify this here. I am currently in contract with 02. I missed ONE payment due to a short term cash flow problem. Naively I thought I could simply pay the outstanding balance the following month. Within 2 weeks of the missed payment o2 blocked all calls and recorded a default on my credit file. On August 12th I contacted them by phone to explain there was a short term cash flow problem and that I would pay the bill in full on August 28th(payday). They removed the block and agreed that was fine. I promptly payed all outstanding balance on August 28th as agreed. You can imagine my surprise when on August 30th I received a letter saying that o2 were cancelling the credit agreement and required full payment of £858 which I presume is the remainder of the handset cost. I have been with o2 for years. Brutal, unfair and stupid behaviour
Highlighted
Topics: 573
Solutions: 3,845

Try calling them and set a direct debit in place and they will normally let you carry on with the monthly contract