cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not returning to 4G after call

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all

The area where I live doesn't have VoLTE/4G Calling, so when I make a call my iPhone X switches to 3G. 

The problem is that it does not return to 4G after the call, no matter how long I leave it. The only way to return to 4G is to toggle Airplane mode or power off/on. 

All settings seem to be appropriate and the same phone (and settings) worked fine on Vodafone on EE. 

An O2 Guru told me that I didn't have the correct bolt-ons and claimed to fix that but I can't see that being the issue as my phone does connect to 4G, it just doesn't return to 4G after a call. In any case, the changes did not have the desired effect.

He has also arranged to send me a new sim however I'm seriously doubtful this will resolve the issue either. 

Does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks

Dave

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a 7 Plus & If I have something like this then I switch off mobile data, leave it a few minutes then put it back on. Solves the problem every time 

That may solve the problem for you but it should not be necessary. Incidentally I tried it and it doesn't get me back to 4G anyway.

Message 11 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just a quick update:

The SIM swap achieved nothing

Trying the SIM in a 4G capable Android phone, everything worked normally with the phone returning to 4G immediately after a call.

The O2 Guru then said as I hadn't bought the phone from O2, WiFi and 4G calling wouldn't work. I corrected him on this point and he then said there must be an issue with my iPhone X and therefore they can't help.

I pointed out that SIM's from Vodafone, EE and Three work as expected. I also then remembered that I have an iPhone SE here so I tried the O2 sim in that, with the same result. That rules out the phone as the problem.

The Guru has now requested to remove "idata" from my account as the issue has been shown to be somehow relevant to iPhone only. Once the request has been processed he is supposed to call me back. 

To be honest even though I am now outside of my cooling off period, I am tempted to try to talk O2 into releasing me from contact as I have had multiple issues with them. 

First they spelled my name wrong on the account. I spoke to CS who said they would send a text message with the details of how to submit documentation to update it. The text message I received just said "This is a test message from O2!". I had to call back to be given an email address to send proof of name to. It was eventually fixed although the name on my direct debit setup is wrong and cannot be changed by me, nor them it seems. At least payment has been taken properly. Incidentially, the incorrect name was also used for the credit check which somehow miraculously passed even though the person doesn't exist. 

Next up, because my email address is based on my name, that was also spelled wrong. I couldn't easily change the email address on the account because there was another, old MyO2 account with the email address I wanted to use. As this old O2 account didn't have a valid number attached (just an old closed account) I couldn't login! I eventually found a way around this and managed to change the email address on the old account, so that my new account could have my proper email address. O2 were not helpful on this matter. 

Next up, as I hate voicemail, I called 1760 to disable it only to be told that it couldn't be disabled and I should call customer service. Customer service told me they fixed the issue and my voicemail would be disabled shortly. A few days later it was still enabled. I had to dial 1760 again and this time it worked. 

Next, as a result of the incorrect name on the account and the initial apparent difficulty in fixing it, I actually requested to disconnect my sim within the cooling off period. Once I realised that updating my name was easier than they initially made it appear, I cancelled the disconnection. I was assured that I would not be disconnected. It doesn't take a genius to figure out what happened the next day. 

After a call to O2 I got the same reactivated, however it's now impossible to log into the 'O2 Ask' app as the deactivation process removed the required 'O2 Ask' bolt-on from my account and nobody seems to have the knowledge and/or power to add it back. This is admittedly a minor issue. 

And now the issue with returning to 4G after calls. 

All in all a terrible start. 

Message 12 of 21

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12045 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1122 Solutions
While I can't comment on the fiasco you have experienced from "customer services", there is one thing I can say - o2 Ask and VM don't like 4g calling.
Others have had issues adding/removing VM with one or the other on their account.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 13 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have now tested an O2 PAYG sim in my phone and got exactly the same result, i.e it does not return to 4G after placing a call. 

So to summarise:

1. It isn't my phone at fault, as another iPhone does the same

2. It doesn't affect Android phones, pointing to an issue with iPhones

3. It affected a PAYG sim too, so it isn't my account with O2

My conclusion is that whether due to changes O2 have made or due to changes Apple has made to iOS recently, there is a compatibility issue between iPhones and at least part(s) of O2's network. 

I have only tested this issue in one other location so far which is about 6 miles from home, so it's impossible to draw conclusion on whether this issue exists everywhere. 

The latest O2 Guru told me that it can't be a general problem as they would have had millions of calls about it. I respectfully disagreed with him pointing out the following:

1. Not all of O2's customers have iPhones

2. From those that do not everybody will be on the latest iOS (which may or may not be related to the issue)

3. O2's network around the country does not have a uniform configuration, meaning it's possible that the issue presents differently in some areas. 

The O2 Guru has told me that the issue cannot be escalated any higher as they are in fact the network team. I asked him if he is part of the same team who build masts and he said yes. I told him respectfully that is rubbish as the network is built and managed by CTIL (Cornerstone) on behalf of O2 and Vodafone. 

I have now asked to file a complaint. If O2 cannot (or will not) provide a service which is compatible with a very popular type of mobile device, then I will ask them to release me from contract without penaulty and I will be off to Three. I believe this is completely reasonable considering the extraordinary amount of trouble I have had with them in just 2 weeks. 

Message 14 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
O2 have agreed to let me out of contract without penalty. It would appear they would rather ignore the problem than try to fix it and have a happy customer. I'm sure it must only be a matter of time until they realise other customers are affected.
Message 15 of 21

Cleoriff
  • 122772 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

@AnonymousExcellent news that you will be released without penalty ....not so good that O2  are sticking their heads in the sand about the issue though slight_frown

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 16 of 21

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144100 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
You're the second and as you say, I'm sure there will be more......
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 17 of 21

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93158 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

I'm not surprised that o2 caved in and released you without penalty. Just brush it under the carpet, say move along the bus please and make way for the hordes of customers waiting to join O2.....

Message 18 of 21

Skyhawk1010
Level 7: Part Timer
  • 150 Posts
  • 18 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

This isn’t a magic problem restricted to either O2 or iPhones.

I’ve encountered a similarish problem via Three and a Nokia N95 8GB donkeys years ago where it would drop down to 2G then take forever to go back onto 3G. 

After a long and tortuous line of enquiry it was in my case down to ‘Handshake’ where the configuration of the phone and network is prioritised in a particular area for a particular frequency. So for example if 4G is weak in the area you are calling from, then it will prioritise 3G and won’t switch back to 4G easily unless you’re switching the phone off and then back on again. 

Surprised the  O2 Guru didn’t know that ! 

Message 19 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

The thing is, 4G is rock solid in the area. The mast is < 500m away, line of sight!

It has now transpired that O2 gave me an incorrect PAC. 

This is getting very tedious. 

Message 20 of 21