cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No service on new phone

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,
I have a new Google Pixel XL (arrived yesterday) this is my first pay monthly contract, it is with 02 through carphone warehouse. Previously I have been payg with 02.
I put in my new SIM card as came with the phone, all I get is a 'no service' message.

I have used online chat with 02 last night and again today, both have given me different things to try - restart, reset network, search for network but still no service. Both chats have been left at you have to wait for your sim to activate.

How long is usual as everything I've read is it should be straight away with first contract and new sim?

Any suggestions?
Message 1 of 15
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
So just to update everyone.

I called 02 customer services that evening who advised me to go to carphone warehouse as the problem wasn't with 02.

Rang them the next day as the phone lines were already shut that evening.
They advised me to go in store as it may be the handset. (I told them I had ordered it online).said they would put it on the system so they would know what was going on.

Went into my local store that evening, it wasn't on the system. Turns out it was the handset but because I'd ordered it online and they didn't have a replacement handset in store they could only put it through as a repair.

Went through all the process of a repair to be told collection date would be 16/9 and my contract would still start straight away.

So I ended up deciding it would be quicker to just cancel the whole thing and start again. They agreed! Asked if I could do that here in the store to be told no as I purchased online.

Got home rang carphone warehouse to go through it all again, they tried to offer replacement handset but I'd have to go I store!!!

So have just cancelled everything, returning the phone myself and no doubt going back to payg.

Thanks for all your help on here : )

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous Is it a new mobile number or are you keeping your previous number? 

You may need to call customer service from a landline as the sim is not activated 

https://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

Message 2 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am using the new mobile number.

If no change I will call from my old phone as we don't have a landline at the moment.
Message 3 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd call customer service as the sim needs to be activated as they don't send active sims out. All sims that are sent out are blank until activated 

Message 4 of 15

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
CPW usually send a fully activated sim so I would check you have it inserted correctly too.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 15

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

It should have been activated by CPW if you bought it there. Or was it done online? 

Message 6 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

From the OP I assumed it's an online purchase 

Message 7 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes it was bought online. The sim can only go in one way and I've rechecked it several times! I will give customer services a call. Thank you
Message 8 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

Good luck @Anonymous hope you get sorted 

Message 9 of 15

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

Did you upgrade from your O2 PAYG account?

Just fill in the keep my number form.You'll need your temporary Pay Monthly number from your O2 confirmation email or sim pack. We'll transfer your number within 24 hours. You'll need to be in the UK when your number switches.

On the day of the switch, your Pay As You Go sim will lose signal. When this happens, put your Pay Monthly sim in your phone. If you don't have signal , switch your phone off and on every couple of hours until you get a signal. If you still don't have signal by 6pm, contact us.

Texts and picture messaging can take up to 24 hours to work after the switch.

If your Pay As You Go balance is under £350, it will be transferred to your Pay Monthly account when you receive your second bill. If you're entitled to a loyalty bonus, up to £550, we'll add credit to your fourth bill.

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-sims-and-devices/how-to-keep-your-mobile-number

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 10 of 15