Did you mean: 

New O2 customer - just moved across from 3: Roaming questions

Dan_Bee
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Good afternoon,

I was a long time customer with VF, having worked for them for several years, then moved across to 3 about 4 years ago, but got fed up with no roaming and the price creeping up.

I've just taken delivery of a sim for the £7.99 30gb deal, and am waiting for my existing number to port across, should be within 24 hours apparently.

A couple of questions if I may.

I'm due to head off to France and Germany at the end of August - do I need to do anything on my account, or ask O2 to change anything to make the roaming live?

Last year I bought a 2 week bolt on through 3 and watched some live sporting events on my phone, and the speed was fine.

I'd like to do the same this year, but would ideally like to set my phone up as a hotspot and connect my laptop to it to get a decent sized screen to watch events on.

Is this allowable on the deal, and I read in a few places that when tethering abroad the speed might be capped to be so low that it's basically unusable, apart from presumably browsing or answering e-mails etc.

Thanks in advance

Dan

Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 147812 Posts
  • 639 Topics
  • 28355 Solutions

@Dan_Bee 

Guide will cover most Guide: Roaming MegaGuide 

Speeds are "as normal" in EU but capped at 2mbps in other locations.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

madasaf1sh
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 10903 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 3123 Solutions

@Dan_Bee 

1. No you dont need to do anything, but you will be limited to a max of 25GB of data usage (still comes out of your allowance).

2. No issues with tethering, but you will be at the mercy of the local network, speed is only capped outside of the EU

--
iPhone 15 Pro Max - o2 and Spusu
Xperia 1V - Spusu

--
This is not customer services and we dont have access to your account
I do not work for o2 or any VMo2 /Telefonica/Liberty Global Company
Message 2 of 5

MI5
  • 147812 Posts
  • 639 Topics
  • 28355 Solutions

@Dan_Bee 

Guide will cover most Guide: Roaming MegaGuide 

Speeds are "as normal" in EU but capped at 2mbps in other locations.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 3 of 5

Dan_Bee
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Fantastic, thankyou both, that was insanely quick!

Sounds like it will all hinge on the local network in that case, so just going to be pot luck where I am based.

Thanks for that guide, I shall have a thorough read 🙂

Message 4 of 5

MI5
  • 147812 Posts
  • 639 Topics
  • 28355 Solutions

You're welcome @Dan_Bee 

Message 5 of 5