cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Texts Off 84222 number just now?

Penny7
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I have received multiple text messages off a 84222 number that states it is a Friday lockdown offer. The usual text STOP to unsubscribe or visit link for whatever. I’ve not replied to it, I’ve just blocked the number via my phone, but will I be charged for even receiving the texts?? Thanks in advance 🙂
Message 1 of 113
112 REPLIES 112

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144158 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions

@Penny7 

Assuming it's just spam, no, you won'y be charged. Just block the number and ignore them.

You can report them to O2 by forwarding the text to 7726 - It's free.

If you find you have been charged, there is help here Guide: Have you fallen for or been conned into a premium rate scam? What to do next and here www.payforitsucks.co.uk

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 113

Cleoriff
  • 122809 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@Penny7 

The number belongs to Tap 2 Bill a premium rate scam. You wont be charged for the texts as long as you don't subscribe to their service.

See community help here:

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/Have-you-fallen-for-or-been-conned-into-a-premium-rate-s...

And O2 advice here…

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/account-and-billing/premium-service-checker

You should also ring Customer Service and ask them to place the following bars on your account:

Bar all Direct to bill debits

Bar Premium rate numbers

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 113

MI5
  • 144158 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions

@Payforit_Sucks is our resident expert on these things.

There is systems in place these days to prevent charges as you have to confirm you want the texts so I'd completely ignore it.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 113

Payforit_Sucks
Level 17: Luminescent
  • 210 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

@Penny7 wrote:
I have received multiple text messages off a 84222 number that states it is a Friday lockdown offer. The usual text STOP to unsubscribe or visit link for whatever. I’ve not replied to it, I’ve just blocked the number via my phone, but will I be charged for even receiving the texts?? Thanks in advance 🙂

@Penny7 

The only "service" registered as using this number is one called f(b)friday, with contact details as follows:

Customer care number

Customer care email

customer.service@freeb.me

Customer care website

http://www.freeb.me/terms_conditions

Postal address

Moblix Media Limited
1 City Road East
Manchester
M15 4PN
United Kingdom

I wouldn't expect you to be charged for these texts. If you are, its a scam. More likely the texts are spam and should be forwarded to 7726. It would help if you could provide EXACTLY what the texts said, as it can be difficult to distinguish between spam and scam texts. 

It's a bad idea to block these texts. Blocking the texts won't stop any charges, but will stop you seeing the information you need to pursue a refund. 

If you find that you have been charged for the texts, come back for more help. 

Hope you manage to sort this out.

Paul

Phone payment scam? Need independent advice? Payforit Faq for O2 Customers

Help put a stop to these scams. Join our Facebook Group
Message 5 of 113

Cleoriff
  • 122809 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@Payforit_Sucks 

I said Tap2Bill as this was the information I found here

https://who-called.co.uk/Number/84222 

Many reports of people receiving non stop texts from them today.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 113

Millimoo
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I received 150 messages in 4 minutes... FREEB STOP on the text did not stop them, STOP or STOP ALL did. The advice from O2 and Vodaphone on Twitter was to send STOP. A lot of Voda customers on pay and go have been charged £1 per message. For contract phones, it will be an unbilled amount currently. I'm furious as I have not registered for anything, and these are completely unsolicited. 

Message 7 of 113

bouncealong313
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 23 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I also got hit by this earlier tonight just after 9pm. I got sent 50+ spam texts from 84222 all with the same message within a matter of 3-5 minutes. They just kept coming every few seconds until I managed to block the number. I checked the My O2 app immediately but didn't seem to be charged for it at the time and had hoped nothing more would come of it, so I reported it to the ICO and left it. Just checked My O2 again and now I've been charged over £130 for the scam texts! I still can't believe such a stupid system is in place - that a business can decide to randomly message ME (not the other way round) and I'm the one who gets charged for it. I definitely have never given my consent to these scamming idiots and didn't subscribe to anything to receive these. Just Googling the number shows that dozens, if not hundreds or more other people have also been hit by this scam today. Typically the only way I can find to get in touch with O2 about it is an online chat facility in the app which of course is offline now that I've actually been charged. Just hoping I can get these stupid texts wiped off my bill or there's going to be trouble.
Message 8 of 113

derwenhj
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have had 55 text messages off this number and been charged £45.82 for the privelage,  I have not even subscribed to a premium rate number so how on earth has this happened??  I didn't click on any links, I just blocked it and deleted all the messages for which I now regret as it could have been used as evidence.   I will be on the phone with customer services in the morning!!  Absolutely furious!

Message 9 of 113

bouncealong313
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 23 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
On O2 monthly contract it looks like they're charging £0.83 per text and it only took about 5 minutes or less to stack up to over £133 for me before I figured out how to block the number. If I hadn't been using my phone at the time they started I hate to think how long it could have gone on for. Anyone who got hit by them last night or if it happens again, check your account a few hours after it happens/after midnight because monthly accounts won't have shown the text charges immediately.
Message 10 of 113