cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost Phone

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I have a bit of a delimma.  I had my phone stolen on Friday night, have called up, had it cancelled etc.  Got a new sim sent out today and now I want to go and get a new phone, using the 'upgrade' option.  All straight forward, right?  Wrong.  

The phone is on my wife's account, which means she has two phones.  She went to the O2 shop and they refused to give her one, despite her trying to hand them £300 to do so, due to her not having ID, with it sent away and potentially taking six months before she'll receive it back.  She was told to call O2 and they'll get her one.  They couldn't do so either as they said, a code has to be sent to the sim card etc.

So now that I have the sim card, can I put it in my wife's phone, go to the O2 shop and say I want to upgrade my phone?  Would that suffice or should I stay in limbo, paying for the contract with no phone?  

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28

Anonymous
Not applicable

She has one form of ID.  She would have had two only when she sent away for her provisional license the DVA lost her Resident Card and thus she had to apply for a new one, using her passport as ID, which can take up to six months.

They then lied saying they didn't receive it.  Standard.

Message 11 of 29

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Sounds like you need to take a chance ordering online then - Good luck !!
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 29

jonsie
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions
Message 13 of 29

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23071 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

She has one form of ID.  She would have had two only when she sent away for her provisional license the DVA lost her Resident Card and thus she had to apply for a new one, using her passport as ID, which can take up to six months.

You sent a passport through the mail without sending it by recorded delivery?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 14 of 29

jonsie
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

@Bambino wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You sent a passport through the mail without sending it by recorded delivery?

Surely not....

Message 15 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable

No.  It was recorded delivery.  

Message 16 of 29

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

No.  It was recorded delivery.  

Good grief..... Was it received then.....and lost after it reached its destination?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 17 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable

They said they signed for the package but the Resident Card wasn't there.

Message 18 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable

So I'm not allowed to upgrade my phone as I have to wait 24 hours after activating my SIM card.

So thus far my experience has been:-

My phone was stolen on Friday.

I had my SIM blocked

Saturday morning I went to the O2 shop and was told I couldn't get a new phone as I didn't have ID, with my passport sent away to get a new resident card as DVA had lost my old one.  They said I could do it by calling them.

Saturday afternoon I called them and they said I couldn't get a new phone as I have to receive a code sent to my phone.  

Tried online chats a few times until I got somebody who knew what they were talking about.  He actually had the sense to talk to his supervisor who told him, I could order a new SIM and place it in my other phone to get the code.

Called up and orderd a new SIM on Saturday evening.

By Wednesday I called up asking where the SIM is.  They told me it was already delivered.

I asked if they had delivered it to my old address as I'd specifically asked them not to do that, fearing they might, even though my correct address is on my account.  He danced around the question and told me he'd sent another.

Wednesday night I went to my old address and lo and behold, there it was.

Came home and got the lock to off the SIM, was told I had to wait a few hours before it could be activated.  Activated it several hours later.  Placed it in my other phone, it worked.  Tried to order the phone by calling but it was after 11pm and lines were now closed.  So tried to do it online, website was possibly going through maintenance.

Called up this morning and was told I had to wait 24 hours before upgrading as a security measure.  Explained all the above and asked if it was possible to help me out, after all, I'm now paying for a service for nearly a week which I haven't been able to use, through no fault of my own, unless my husband being beaten up, his watch, wedding ring and phone being stolen is my fault.

She put me through to 'upgrades'.

I was explained the same situation but told I could go in the shop and get it tomorrow morning.  I explained my ID situation.  I was then told as long as I have the bank card that's on my account, it would be fine.  I asked her to be sure about what she was telling me as I've been told a lot of conflicting information already this week.  She said she'd call the shop I'd went to to clarify to them.  She then came back and said the rules had changed and I do in fact need ID and my photocopy of my ID, bank card on the account, bill sent to the account address, other phone on the account in my hand, with the SIM card sent to me for that account, nevertheless to the wrong address and trying to hand them £300 are not enough.

So let's hope that tomorrow, a week after my husband's phone was stolen, I can actually go through the terrible experience of trying to buy a new phone.  Then I can enjoy the wait for it, which is apparently up to two weeks.

I think I must have been living in fantasy land with leprechauns and fairies as I thought if I lost my phone, I simply went to the shop, handed over money and got a new one.  

I think that's all.  I'm going for a ride on my flying pink elephant.  

Message 19 of 29

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Fingers crossed it all comes good for you tomorrow slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 20 of 29