cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost Phone

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I have a bit of a delimma.  I had my phone stolen on Friday night, have called up, had it cancelled etc.  Got a new sim sent out today and now I want to go and get a new phone, using the 'upgrade' option.  All straight forward, right?  Wrong.  

The phone is on my wife's account, which means she has two phones.  She went to the O2 shop and they refused to give her one, despite her trying to hand them £300 to do so, due to her not having ID, with it sent away and potentially taking six months before she'll receive it back.  She was told to call O2 and they'll get her one.  They couldn't do so either as they said, a code has to be sent to the sim card etc.

So now that I have the sim card, can I put it in my wife's phone, go to the O2 shop and say I want to upgrade my phone?  Would that suffice or should I stay in limbo, paying for the contract with no phone?  

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

If you haven't done so already you'll need to ask the account holder to speak to O2 via 202 to lift the account bar they will have placed , so the new SIM card sent will work. 

I don't think they would help without photo ID to prove she is the account holder. 

Message 2 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable
I find it crazy that they would think that somebody would fork over £300, have the SIM card that was sent to the address on the account, have the other phone on the account in her possession and that isn't proof enough.
Message 3 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable

Appreciate what your saying. 

This is is all in place to protect the account and account holder to stop unauthorised use and unauthorised phone upgrades. 

You could be put on her account as an authorised person if your wife speaks to Customer Service. 

Message 4 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't need to be an authorised person as she will be getting the phone.  

I just need to know how to get it.  I have my sim card, I have the money to go for the upgrade but the shop requires ID, which she doesn't have and on the phone they require a code sent to the SIM.  So can I either put the sim in her phone and bring it to the shop for the upgrade or put the SIM in her phone, to get the code and get the phone by calling O2?

Message 5 of 29

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93236 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

Put the Sim in her phone and as long as the block has been removed you can either go instore or upgrade over the phone.

Message 6 of 29

MI5
  • 144369 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27677 Solutions
Follow jonsie's advice and you will be walking out with an upgrade in no time.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's just the guys on the online chat say that my wife will need ID to go into the O2 shop.  Otherwise I can put my SIM card in her phone and get the code and buy the phone over the phone.

So is going into a shop definitely a no-go without ID?

Message 8 of 29

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23079 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3676 Solutions

You will definitely need ID if you go in store. Doesn't your wife have more than one ID?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 9 of 29

MI5
  • 144369 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27677 Solutions
Photocard drivers licence or passport is OK as ID.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 10 of 29