cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Locked in by 30 day Simplicity tariff?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all, 

I've recently been trying to upgrade to an iPhone 6 from my 5, which I have had with O2 since release day (21st Sept 2012).  On the 21st August I took an 'early upgrade' to a rolling 30day Simplicity tariff to run out the final month a bit cheaper when waiting for the iPhone6 release - which is exactly the same as I did when upgrading from the iPhone 4 to the 5 a couple of years previous.

After missing the initial rush on pre-order I decided to wait it out a few weeks until stocks were back and prices had stabilised.  On trying to upgrade through CPW a few weeks ago, I found their system telling me I was not eligible for upgrade at that time (certainly past the initial contract expiry date).  After digging through O2 and the CPW headoffice, it was determined that the issue was with the CPW system 'locking' my account down due to it seeing some upgrade activity (regardless of this being a 30 day sim only 'upgrade).  They suggested returning after 3 months of holding the Simplicity as it should then allow me to upgrade.

I returned over the weekend and have been given the same answer - I am not eligible for upgrade.  Thinking I may just carry the upgrade through O2 direct, I logged into my account today to find out that I now cannot even upgrade directly.  My account is showing that I can carry out another sim-only upgrade, but I am not eligible to upgrade to a Refresh tariff until after 20th Feb 2015!!!  Seemingly my sim-only change has locked me down for 6 months.....not much of a 30day contract there then!!

I have spoken to an online chat helper this morning who tells me there is a 'technical issue with my account' and that I should be eligible.  Due to the comments on here about the chat helpers being 3rd party and generally unreliable, I wanted to run this through here to see if anyone else has had similar issues?  Any suggestions?

I'm seriously tempted to just cancel and run, but O2 really has given me the best reception in my area for the past 4 years and I don't want to jump from the frying pan into the fire......a new contract is the other option, but i've read an O2 to O2 number port is not possible/hard work...

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

As promised, a quick update for you!

O2 seemingly had a problem on my account details and corrected the "Upgrades" area so it would allow me to upgrade to a new device.  Unfortunately the CPW upgrade checker was telling me I was uneligible.

After some digging, we found that my name details were incorrect on the O2 website (letters missing from both first and last names).  It appears that this may have changed in the last week or so as the CPW upgrade checker was telling me I was un-eligibe for upgrade up until the end of last week, then changed to telling me there had "been a problem"......I dont know if O2 have upgrade something/moved a database across, but either way I find it quite bizarre that my normal details have been used in the past then suddenly they're wrong....

Either way, if I enter these incorrect details into the CPW checker it allows me to upgrade, which I have done.  Once i've recieved this, I will speak to O2 and get my details corrected.

Cheers for any help!

Message 11 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

Thank you for the update.

Awesome this has a reasonable outcome for you.

Choice of phone may I ask ?
Message 12 of 16

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous I went for the iphone 6 (128gb).  After a few years of different iPhones, I couldn't bring myself to try anything different!

Message 14 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
Nice choice.

😄

You can see from my signature which I chose. I'd never fill 128Gb of storage space. Lol.

Enjoy your phone.
Message 15 of 16

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144189 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

You will need to write into o2 with proof of the correct spelling of your name to get them to change it.
Telefónica UK Limited
Correspondence Department

PO BOX 694

Winchester

SO23 5AP

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 16 of 16