Did you mean: 

Keeping my number

TotallyTom
Level 1: Joiner
  • 7 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi all,

I have requested that my old PAYG phone number be transferred to my new monthly sim, and I am told this takes up to 24 hours, which makes sense. But the operator on the other end of the chat has told me that both of my sims will lose network coverage for this entire time? Essentially rendering my phone utterly useless.

Is this true?? If so, this is awful.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
No, what happens is that your old sim will stop working, you should then wait for a few hours at most for the new sim to become active. Rebooting the phone with new sim every 30 mins will help speed this process up.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
No, what happens is that your old sim will stop working, you should then wait for a few hours at most for the new sim to become active. Rebooting the phone with new sim every 30 mins will help speed this process up.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 7

Cleoriff
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

All info is here @TotallyTom https://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-sims-and-devices/how-to-keep-your-mobile-number

You will be issued with a temporary number initially..

Moving from PAYG to Contract

Just fill in the keep my number form.You'll need your temporary Pay Monthly number from your O2 confirmation email or sim pack. We'll transfer your number within 24 hours. You'll need to be in the UK when your number switches.

On the day of the switch, your Pay As You Go sim will lose signal. When this happens, put your Pay Monthly sim in your phone. If you don't have signal , switch your phone off and on every couple of hours until you get a signal. If you still don't have signal by 6pm, contact us.

Texts and picture messaging can take up to 24 hours to work after the switch.

If your Pay As You Go balance is under £350, it will be transferred to your Pay Monthly account when you receive your second bill. If you're entitled to a loyalty bonus, up to £550, we'll add credit to your fourth bill.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 7

TotallyTom
Level 1: Joiner
  • 7 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Ok, I knew that didn't sound right. The operator even said that he couldn't comment on a few of my concerns. Probably because he didn't know the answers!

So should I keep my old sim in my phone for now until it stops working?
Message 4 of 7

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Yes, just use the old sim until it stops working them put your new one in.
This change may not happen now until next week as ports don't happen over the weekends.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 7

Cleoriff
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@TotallyTom wrote:
Ok, I knew that didn't sound right. The operator even said that he couldn't comment on a few of my concerns. Probably because he didn't know the answers!

That sounds pretty poor if honest @TotallyTom. Good job you came to the forum then! wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 7

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Let us know how it goes and ask if you have any more questions or concerns mate.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 7