cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just like Mums everywhere, I've apparently been to Iceland?

Anonymous
Not applicable

On the 3rd of May this year, I boarded a ferry in Portsmouth and 24 hours later docked in Bilbao, Spain. Whilst onboard I had no mobile phone connection. No data access.

I checked my bill when I got home this weekend and I've been billed £40 for "Non-EU browse and download" on the exact date I was on a boat, country code "ISL". 

Has anyone else had this happen?

I've had an online chat with O2 twice now. The second time they had no record of my first query about this. This time again they said they will investgate it.

I'm quite loath to pay £40 on my bill and wait for them to investgate when I'm on a £27-a-month contract!

Message 1 of 36
35 REPLIES 35

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

And was it at £6 a mb?

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 31 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable

They charged:

£40 for 19,329kb on the 3rd. - I guess this is about £2 per mb.

£0 for 4,706kb on the 4th. - no idea why this was "free"

Message 32 of 36

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

It is £6 a mb non eu up to the £40 cap so 6.66mb charged then youd see 33.34mb free like the 4th is free. they may have not split the 6.66mb from the 3rd as you hit the £40 cap on that day

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 33 of 36

Pilchard
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have had the same happen to me, whilst on a cruise in the Caribbean, not near to Iceland, and charged £40 for 23.49MB data usage. This was taken without any prior warning or consent page offered.

I see that your issue say "SOLVED" but it is quite clearly not solved. 

I am about to challenge this charge, as I had assumed I would be paying £4.99 per day in accordance with the O2 Travel bolt-on.

Please advise how this was "solved" as I have got to the end of page 4 and you still seem to be discussing it.

many thanks

Richard

Message 34 of 36

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144168 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
I've not read the entire thread again but when on a ship you aren't using normal mobile networks.
Ships use satellite systems which are usually based in Iceland or Norway for billing purposes.
The costs are set by the ships operators and are not directly controlled by any network.
Your £4.99 a day travel charge will only apply when on land and connected to normal mobile networks.
O2 may offer you a goodwill gesture but your beef should be with the cruise ship operators.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 35 of 36

Pilchard
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

...so this was not GPRS network but via wifi, but stll shows on my O2 bill?

Clearly not possible, it must have been via GPRS (general packet radio system - mobile signal) the Cruise Companies must be in cahoots with the Mob Operators to allow this sort of on-billing without consent given.

Message 36 of 36