Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet data transfer in populated areas/big city

Ionutbuse
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

The O2 telecommunication network doesn't respect the contract terms, and also me as a customer.
I am very unhappy with this network. Yesterday I was unable to enjoy the Internet in the most important and tourist areas of London. And not only in London, is happen in Manchester or Liverpool, is the same. I went directly to the O2 shop, I explained, that there it is and it show on my phone Huawei Honor 9, maximum signal 4G, but extremely low speed Internet, I needed 5 minutes to upload 2 photos on Facebook, near London Eye, I've try to call my parents from my country with video call on WhatsApp or Facebook Messenger, I couldn't do that. Including they FROM THE O2 SHOP said to me it is frustrating. I told them I want to end the contract right now with them ....
Their answer: "you will be charge 20£ if you want to end the contract"
My question: "If I can't use your service... How can I charge you than?"

Went many times to O2 shops and discuss this problem with them.
Why there is just excuses but nothing to do. I'm basically trapped to O2, can't enjoy Internet in my free time when I visiting tourist places.
Here is my questions:

Is it there a way to end contract without being charged?
If O2 doesn't respect the contract, why I can't end the contract?
I'm feel like in "prison" with O2, being innocent customer who can't use their service. How can I get out from here?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144172 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
Your best option is to make a complaint and follow the correct process to be able to be allowed to cancel for free https://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 13

Cleoriff
  • 122820 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

If they don't uphold your complaint @Ionutbuse then you will have to cancel in the usual way.

Info on cancellation here https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/Cancelling-Your-Contract-A-Guide/ba-p/566774#M56526

And getting your PAC to move to another network here

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/How-to-get-your-PAC-2017-Update/ba-p/1052278

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 13

MI5
  • 144172 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

@Cleoriffwrote:

If they don't uphold your complaint @Ionutbuse then you will have to cancel in the usual way.

Info on cancellation here https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/Cancelling-Your-Contract-A-Guide/ba-p/566774#M56526

and pay as you were told by O2 before.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 13

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

@Ionutbuse Poor service generally is not grounds to cancel. If you read the Terms & Conditions, a good signal is not always guaranteed. You will find that with all the networks. You didn't say how long you have left on your contract, but I would imagine it will cost more than £20 to get out of it. If you still want to cancel, follow the links in the posts above.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 13

Ionutbuse
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Being in Central London, touristic places is not middle of nowhere. I don't think there can be excuses.
I understand what you mean, but is hard to accept that when is about the most populated areas like central London.
My friend had another network, he had no problems with Internet in any touristic populated areas.
Message 6 of 13

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

We understand what you're saying, but we are all customers here, and there isn't a lot we can do to help. No one said that Central London was the middle of nowhere. Do you get an internet connection anywhere? There could be any number of reasons why you weren't getting a signal. It could be your phone, or it could be a faulty sim card. Did you try your friend's sim in your phone? You need to check all the possible reasons why you're not getting a signal.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 7 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
It’s most likely city congestion on the network with so many people using 4G at the same time
Message 8 of 13

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

I have to agree @Ionutbuse, Manchester is truly awful and even switching to  EE in my dual sim phone, data is still poor though it's good enough to actually upload or send photos. The thing is, I do have to switch over to EE because O2 is unusable for anything other than calls or texts. In Liverpool I had no problem with O2 and I've not been to London for a few years now.

Many others have complained about congestion in London but that in itself is not sufficient to be able to terminate your contract without fees. O2 will be able to see your usage on their systems so make the complaint, you need to do that as the first step if you want to pursue any further in leaving without penalty. If you do eventually get to that point be aware that you would also have to return the phone if on a Refresh contract, forfeiting any money you have already paid towards the cost of the handset.

You also need to check all networks for coverage, they all have black spots in differing areas and maybe all suffer to a degree with congestion in the bigger cities.

Message 9 of 13

Cleoriff
  • 122820 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

O2 certainly perform better than others when I am away with friends.We don't go to cities , usually to places like Yarmouth and Brean in Somerset. I can get 4G with O2 and my friends on EE and Vodafone often struggle to get a signal. Swings and roundabouts really...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 13