Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPad Warranty

Dazzler
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Can somebody at o2 please confirm the following, I have asked in store and via customer services but with different answers each time. 

if I sign up to a 24 month contract for an iPad and in month 14 it goes faulty due to a software issue (not dropped or smashed or fallen in the bath etc) where do I stand? will o2 repair this / replace this under my contract with them or am I left with 10months of a contract and no iPad?

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

Any Apple products only carry a 12 month warranty so you are advised to take Apple Care extra warranty to cover the second 12 month period or upgrade after 12 months. 

https://www.apple.com/support/products/

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 19

Dazzler
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

That doesn’t really answer the question tho..

i know what the options are, I want o2 to confirm what their commitment to me as a subscriber would be in the 12 months following the expiration of the standard 12 month warranty, and if they don’t offer a 24 month warranty what would they do in the event of the product becoming faulty when I am 14 months (for eg) into a 24 month contract. 

Message 3 of 19

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@DazzlerIf you chose not to take the additional 1 year Apple Care warranty, you would be liable for any charges incurred if the device developed a fault.

You could check with Apple Support in the UK...I'm sure they will give you the same answer https://support.apple.com/en-gb/contact

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 19

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
I did answer your question.
Apple warranty is 12 months. O2 only honour that as provided by the manufacturer. After that, your on your own.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Dazzler wrote:

Can somebody at o2 please confirm the following, I have asked in store and via customer services but with different answers each time. 

if I sign up to a 24 month contract for an iPad and in month 14 it goes faulty due to a software issue (not dropped or smashed or fallen in the bath etc) where do I stand? will o2 repair this / replace this under my contract with them or am I left with 10months of a contract and no iPad? 

If you're talking about a software issue, then Apple will continue offering technical support even after the warranty expires.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb

If you have an Apple Store that's local to you, then making an appointment with the Genius Bar is by far the best option, but you still have the usual options of live chat, and telephone based support. All of that service is entirely free, unless it turns out to be a hardware issue, but they'll always explain your options before you need to part with any cash.

Message 6 of 19

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
You never get a purely software issue with Apple though and any glitches can be overcome with a reset or in the worst cases a restore through iTunes.
The important point is that whilst every other phone or tablet manufacturer in the World give 2 year warranties, Apple don't, so any failures need to be covered by some sort of insurance policy, or be prepared to pay.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:
You never get a purely software issue with Apple though and any glitches can be overcome with a reset or in the worst cases a restore through iTunes.
The important point is that whilst every other phone or tablet manufacturer in the World give 2 year warranties, Apple don't, so any failures need to be covered by some sort of insurance policy, or be prepared to pay.

They do crash sometimes, but even following the usual advice about forced restarts etc won't always rescue the situation. That could indicate a more serious fault, such as a dead battery, or a faulty home button for example, but not necessarily, and the only way that you can confirm one way or the other, is to get it properly checked out (ideally in an Apple Store).

On the subject of warranties, if you buy an Apple device from John Lewis, they'll give you a two year warranty. But apparently, they're only giving you what you're entitled to anyway, as explained in this news article:

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2011/feb/05/how-long-electrical-goods-guaranteed

Message 8 of 19

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
It’s always been a bone of contention and knowing Apple it always will be !

Currently using:
Message 9 of 19

Dazzler
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Ok, so I’ve just got off the phone to Apple who are pointing me in the direction of o2 (surprise surprise) and quoting Consumer Law. They are the retailer and they have to remedy the problem!? But o2 are saying they only warrant for 12months.. if consumer law protects me as a buyer for 2-3-4 years depending which article you read) where do I go from here as o2 are not interested?

Message 10 of 19