Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

being charged for premium services on my mobile broadband

caspergriswold
Level 1: Joiner
  • 15 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, have spoken to the guru's but i was hoping someone could give me some more details before i talk to fraud tomorrow and the person couldn't really give me much help

I checked my mobile broadband today and have been charged by two companies for about 20 pounds. These companies are payforit and Net real solutions.  for premium calls and games. She seemed to think that clicking on pop-ups will automatically get these charged to you which sound very iffy seeing i would have thought you would have to press accept or put in some details. At the end of the day i don't play games at all. I'm on a laptop, not a phone and i don't actually know my o2 broadband number until i checked it tonight. I would never give out my broadband number because i don't know it and id give out my mobile phone number if i had to The only people who know it are 02 and me finding it tonight. Now she insists my computer has not been hacked but can't block anymore charges which is about as much use as a chocolate teapot really so how the hell did they get the number without hacking my computer, and if they can do this, isn't the whole system totally insecure?

Message 1 of 33
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
  • 143188 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27460 Solutions
Basically yes, as far as the regulation currently stands.
We've been campaigning for years for a 2 step verification system for these kinds of subscriptions and EE has just introduced a pin or password approval system, so it's high time all the networks followed suit, but then they'd lose their cut of the fees wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 33
32 REPLIES 32

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122129 Posts
  • 823 Topics
  • 7456 Solutions

Hi @caspergriswold have a look at this help thread https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/Have-you-fallen-for-or-been-conned-into-a-premium-rate-s...

Edited to add clicking on links in FB is the usual way these scams originate although it can happen via other routes. Anyway follow the advice and see how you go.

Edited for spelling wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @caspergriswold you may have inadvertently clicked on a link or social media site. Read this guide for help

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/Have-you-fallen-for-or-been-conned-into-a-premium-rate-s...

Message 3 of 33

caspergriswold
  • 15 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

thanks but thats for sms and phones. this is mobile broadband. I can't text phone or anything

Message 4 of 33

Cleoriff
  • 122129 Posts
  • 823 Topics
  • 7456 Solutions

@caspergriswold wrote:

thanks but thats for sms and phones. this is mobile broadband. I can't text phone or anything

Yes I realise that now @caspergriswold but following the advice on how to deal with it is provided in the link I gave

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 33

MI5
  • 143188 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27460 Solutions
You will need to follow the same process of identifying the company charging you and contacting them for a refund and to remove you from their database.
It matters not if it's a phone, dongle, wingle or tablet. The process is the same.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 33

caspergriswold
  • 15 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

yeah i know the process of getting the money back. I just want to know HOW they did it. They haven't got my number, there is no way i would sign up for a game, I'm told O2 is secure so how?

Message 7 of 33

MI5
  • 143188 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27460 Solutions
Your sim card transmits the number to websites everytime you go online.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 33

caspergriswold
  • 15 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

So basically anyone can nick your number and charge you if you visit a website? No wonder she didn't want to tell me.

Message 9 of 33

MI5
  • 143188 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27460 Solutions
Basically yes, as far as the regulation currently stands.
We've been campaigning for years for a 2 step verification system for these kinds of subscriptions and EE has just introduced a pin or password approval system, so it's high time all the networks followed suit, but then they'd lose their cut of the fees wink

Currently using:
Message 10 of 33