cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to transfer a number between two o2 contracts?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am not sure if this specific question has been asked before (if it has, I can't find it):

I want to purchase a new o2 contract from mobiles.co.uk (a new o2 contract is cheaper than any upgrade option from o2 or mobiles.co.uk), and I still have my existing o2 sim only deal (that I am now paying monthly by choice, as the contract is complete).

My question is, how would I go about getting my current number onto the new contract. I would obviously call and cancel the old, complete contract. Would I then just ask them to transfer my number to my new o2 contract from mobiles.co.uk? Would I have a brand new myo2 account as well? Any help would be appreciated

Community_STS_0.png
Community_STS_1.png Community_STS_2.png
Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
All you need to do is call customer service and ask them to migrate your current number to the new contract.
This will immediately end the old contract and generate the final bill, which will include a 30 day termination fee.
Do not just swap sims as you will end up with 2 contracts running.
The new contract will also be set up with a new MYO2 login but you can pull that into your current MyO2 by following the process to bring in other products on the home page of your MyO2 but only on a PC.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Cleoriff
  • 122901 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous Have a look at his link. https://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-sims-and-devices/how-to-keep-your-mobile-number  Various options depending on your individual needs.

You could also ask mobiles.co.uk to transfer the number over for you. This might be the easiest option...

(Depending on your phone you may just be able to put the old sim into the new phone as you are staying with O2 (albeit with a different provider).

Info on cancelling contract here https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/How-To-Cancelling-Your-Contract-A-Guide/m-p/566774/highlight/true#M56526

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 7

MI5
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
All you need to do is call customer service and ask them to migrate your current number to the new contract.
This will immediately end the old contract and generate the final bill, which will include a 30 day termination fee.
Do not just swap sims as you will end up with 2 contracts running.
The new contract will also be set up with a new MYO2 login but you can pull that into your current MyO2 by following the process to bring in other products on the home page of your MyO2 but only on a PC.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 3 of 7

uknotok
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello,

Rather than start a new topic i'll just jump on the back of this one..

My current contract ends in June this year, I want to upgrade and stay with O2 and keep current number but through a 3rd party website.

I understand that I need to pay off my device but do I also need to pay off my contact up to June?

Message 4 of 7

MI5
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions

@uknotok assuming you are on a refresh contract already, all you need to do is pay off the device plan and you are free to upgrade.

However, you need to be aware that refresh is not available from 3rd party sellers, so your new contract will be a minimum of 24 months at the full monthly price.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 7

Debsjc9
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I know this is an old topic, but does anyone know if O2 will still do this in 2023? 
If I take out a new O2 contract via phones for you, will O2 transfer my current number across? 

Message 6 of 7

MI5
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions

@Debsjc9 

There have been issues with migrated Virgin customers but if you've always been on O2 it shouldn't be an issue.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 7