cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! Daughter put old O2 sim in to her new EE iPhone 6.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Got brand new iPhone 6 last monday having been unable to get similar deal with O2 now my 2 year contract is up. Now locked new iPhone to O2 (getting sim not valid message when put EE sim into iPhone) - tried to request unlock by O2 but they don't do iPhone 6 yet. Then tried to explain this was done in error and phone is not theirs but belongs to EE - first directed to ask EE. Sent back to O2. O2 then directed me to Apple. They say its O2. Apple also suggest I cancel! An easy mistake to make but what do I do now?
Have another O2 contract which I have just renewed for 12 months. Customer service giving different advice every time. How do I escalate this to a higher level?
Message 1 of 76
75 REPLIES 75

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
We've queried it before and never got confirmation.
O2 used to have a system to unlock any iPhone but I don't know if they still have it or not.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 41 of 76

jonsie
  • 92910 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I personally still advise people to go through the network the phone is locked to.

Message 42 of 76

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

I personally still advise people to go through the network the phone is locked to.

And in this particular instance I am hoping the OP has returned the phone and cancelled the contract.All within the cooling off period of course...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 43 of 76

jonsie
  • 92910 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

Hopefully not told them why. .....

mmmmmm...there is that. Funny how that never even occured to me...I must be a real devious person Smiley Very Happy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 45 of 76

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonsie wrote:

In your experience @Anonymous had anyone had their phone unlocked by CPW? 

sorry, missed your comment from before @jonsie, and the answer is yes. Managers from our side having to speak with manager's from their side,to remind that they can do it they need/want to.

More than once, last one about 3/4 months ago,maybe?

Message 46 of 76

jonsie
  • 92910 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

@jonsie wrote:

In your experience @Anonymous had anyone had their phone unlocked by CPW? 

sorry, missed your comment from before @jonsie, and the answer is yes. Managers from our side having to speak with manager's from their side,to remind that they can do it they need/want to.

More than once, last one about 3/4 months ago,maybe?

I bow to your experience @Anonymous....but it seems you have to get managers involved then, so how is the average customer supposed to get it unlocked?

Message 47 of 76

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I can't imagine the networks would be too pleased if CPW unlocked phones willy nilly, so I guess that's why managers need to get involved, which kinda makes it all pointless.
I assume the system that CPW have, if anything, is solely for their own repairs and resetting of devices whilst refurbishing and not for normal public enterprise.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 48 of 76

Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree and that's why they have the system, but it should be used to clean up their own messes.

On this one, O2 is being asked to do their job. They didn't educate the customer properly, they should have told them the phone was locked to the contracted network and warn them about the sim lock. Now the result is the op being passed from pillar to post and a phone that cannot be used!

Great customer experience! Bang

Message 49 of 76

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

So...all the way round the houses...take it back and cancel contract...:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 50 of 76