cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP TOPIC: Fraudulent Transactions - O2 Prepay Slough

Anonymous
Not applicable
Question: I have received my debit/credit card statement and there is a transaction on there which is showing "O2 Prepay Slough" and I haven't done it! What is it for?

Answer: Someone has obtained your card details (and not from O2!) and has used them to buy a O2 top-up.

The reason it has got O2 Slough on your debit/credit card statement is not because the fraud is originating there but is because Slough is where O2's HQ is and all top-up payments are processed there.

When a top-up is bought through one of the automated systems (for example: the top-up line or a web top-up), a number of security questions will be asked and would need to be answered correctly before the top-up is allowed.

If the security questions are answered correctly, then O2 assumes that it is you making the transaction as they haven't got any way in knowing that it isn't you and after all, the security questions have been answered correctly.

This is why it is vitally important to ensure that your card is 100% secure all of the time and this includes not borrowing your card to a family member or friend so that they can make a one-off top-up as your card will then be registered on their O2 Pay & Go account and it would then be easier for them if they wanted to do another top-up in the future.

Please do NOT contact O2 Customer Services as there is absolutely NOTHING that they can do for you. What you need to do is contact your card issuer and report it as fraud and they will then liaise with O2's Fraud and Security Team on your behalf.

Note: Only the card issuer can liaise with O2's Security and Fraud Team and not yourself.

It is then the responsibility of the card issuer to give you a refund and not O2.

Please also have a look at the site here, which gives you very useful information about how to protect yourself against fraud and identity theft.
Message 1 of 74
73 REPLIES 73

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions
Just phone your bank and get the card stopped and re-issued, they should refund the payments to your new card.
To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 31 of 74

Anonymous
Not applicable
Found this forum via google after having the same thing happen to me. Checked my credit card (HSBC) transactions on line today and found 20 pounds had been paid to O2 prepay slough. Have spoken to my bank who’ve cancelled my card and will refund the money but its caused me a huge problem as I’m going away next week, need a credit card, and the postmen are on strike here in Bristol at the moment! I’m very careful about shredding my mail and rarely make internet purchases with my credit card, but sometimes it is necessary and unfortunately there are unscrupulous people out there.

Anyway, I appreciate that the criminals here are people who have obtained my card details rather than someone at O2. However, I was quite shocked at how common this scam seems to be – when I searched google (O2 prepay scam) I found countless forums where people report the same problem. When I tried substituting in the name of other network providers I didn’t find anything like as many. It can’t be a coincidence that these criminals are continually using O2 and suggests to me that O2 need to tighten up their security, such as, for example not allowing credit/debit card top ups on unregistered phones and only accepting credit/debit cards that are registered to the same name or address.

A few posters have suggested that there is no need to contact O2 however I do need to speak to them. Firstly, to pass on my opinions of their security checks, but mainly because I need to know which details (other than my credit card number) the fraudsters must have had. Do they know my PIN? My home address? My Master Card Secure code? I have sent an e mail (I refuse to pay to call the 0870 number, as I have no landline) but so far they have not responded. If anyone can confirm which details fraudsters need in addition to a credit/debit card number I’d be grateful. Thanks.
Message 32 of 74

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions
As previously discussed here and in a few other threads, you will not be told anything by O2 or your bank.

You money will be refunded and a new card issued with a new number, and that's it I'm afraid.
To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Message 33 of 74

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have been hit with this same scam last month . I noticed £15 taken to 02(UK) Ltd Prepay.
After seeing all the traffic on the internet I knew it was fraud , and so contacted my bank. At first they said I had to COntact 02, and that £15 was to low an amount to be considered fraud . I did call 02 , who were not the slightest bit interested as I was not an 02 customer. Didnt even want to know about when or my name. I then went back to my Bank and closed the account , as I had read that they will take a small amount first , and then a bigger amount when it all works .
I then called 02 back , because I felt as if they should be aware that it is a charge for their services which hadnt been authorised. Customer services slammed the phone down on me !! I am not an O2 customer , and I hold my information on my card as securely as I know how to , so I want to know how these prepay services are ordered and what level of information is required , because I think it is fundimentally floored in its security.
Message 34 of 74

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions
In 1996 I had my credit card done for £3,900.00.

It was done 2 days after my statement date (clever or what?).

The money was spent across 3 large high street retailers.

Fortunately I was using internet banking and spotted it next day, I phoned my card issuer who cancelled my card sent out a replacement with new pin number, I had to sign a letter confirming I had not made these payments, and all was duly passed to their fraud department.

The money was credited back to my account, including charges, as it pushed it beyond the limit I had at that time.

I have never heard another word from anyone about it, and I have never heard of anyone who has.

This seems to be the way the banks like to do business.

Nothing else you can do really.

Message 35 of 74

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yo,

I've joined the club, done for £30 on 02prepay ltd, on saturday 7th, it appeared on my statement online today.

I bank with barclays so I dont think the bank is relevant.

What is relevant is the lack of security?

Im guessing all you need is a card number, expiry date, and security code and name of the holder.

IT WOULD BE NICE IF AN 02 CUSTOMER, COULD CONFIRM EXACTLY HOW THE PROCESS WORKS IN THE FOLLOWING THREE CASES, (WHAT SECURITY ANSWERS ARE REQUIRED)?

AT A SHOP?
OVER INTERNET?
AND ON THE PHONE?

Who ever did the fraud also tried my card with NikeStore.com for £384. 07/11/2009 23:45
I rang Nikestore on the Monday and they said that the order was rejected because the delivery details didnt match the card holder details.

My card was also tried for an addition £270 but that was rejected.

So all in all 02 prepay is the only transaction that suceeded, which means they should address the situation.

Credit to barclays for informing me of the strange activity, however the 02 transaction was not the transaction that caused their alarm bells to ring.
Message 36 of 74

Anonymous
Not applicable
bing, me too - 10pounds 2 days ago, o2prepay ltd.

I have just come back from holiday so im glad that i caught it before they went nuts on the account!

Bank is Halifax, they didnt say much really - new card in a few days and money will get refunded.

I have had this card over 6 years, no-one touches it, and i always keep watch for dodgy cash machines and when people swipe my card in stores, i guess theres a first time for everything.
Message 37 of 74

Anonymous
Not applicable
I too have had £30 taken from my bank account under the O2 prepay scam.

I have NEVER divulged my bank details to anyone, I live alone, and my security is second to none. I use state of the art security with my computers and everything is up to date and tested daily.
My bank cards have never been out of my possession for a moment, following another attempted card scam a couple of months ago, and the card concerned is newly issued.
I reported the theft to O2, who denied it was anything to do with them, and my bank are dealing with the fraud. The bank is crediting me back the stolen money.

I do not even have an O2 phone!
Message 38 of 74

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions
It's not your fault or O2s.

I doubt you will ever find out how it was done, but your bank has to put it right for you.

Half the time I don't think they bother to investigate, they just stand the loss, as it's cheaper.

It just shows how important it is to check statements.

Message 39 of 74

Anonymous
Not applicable
This scam has been going on for years. Who is making all the money out of it? The Banks? O2? No wonder we have a fiscal crisis.
Total incompetence all round. Hopeless PRIVATE sector employees ! ?
As soon as I cancelled and cut up my Egg card the O2 scam hit. Egg has refunded the £30 of course, but we ALL pay for it.
As for the police even less chance of them being interested .......
Message 40 of 74