cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP TOPIC: Fraudulent Transactions - O2 Prepay Slough

Anonymous
Not applicable
Question: I have received my debit/credit card statement and there is a transaction on there which is showing "O2 Prepay Slough" and I haven't done it! What is it for?

Answer: Someone has obtained your card details (and not from O2!) and has used them to buy a O2 top-up.

The reason it has got O2 Slough on your debit/credit card statement is not because the fraud is originating there but is because Slough is where O2's HQ is and all top-up payments are processed there.

When a top-up is bought through one of the automated systems (for example: the top-up line or a web top-up), a number of security questions will be asked and would need to be answered correctly before the top-up is allowed.

If the security questions are answered correctly, then O2 assumes that it is you making the transaction as they haven't got any way in knowing that it isn't you and after all, the security questions have been answered correctly.

This is why it is vitally important to ensure that your card is 100% secure all of the time and this includes not borrowing your card to a family member or friend so that they can make a one-off top-up as your card will then be registered on their O2 Pay & Go account and it would then be easier for them if they wanted to do another top-up in the future.

Please do NOT contact O2 Customer Services as there is absolutely NOTHING that they can do for you. What you need to do is contact your card issuer and report it as fraud and they will then liaise with O2's Fraud and Security Team on your behalf.

Note: Only the card issuer can liaise with O2's Security and Fraud Team and not yourself.

It is then the responsibility of the card issuer to give you a refund and not O2.

Please also have a look at the site here, which gives you very useful information about how to protect yourself against fraud and identity theft.
Message 1 of 74
73 REPLIES 73

Anonymous
Not applicable
Moving up.
Message 2 of 74

Anonymous
Not applicable
:robotindifferent:
Message 3 of 74

Anonymous
Not applicable
:robotindifferent:
Message 4 of 74

Anonymous
Not applicable
Trouble with this is that when you are topping up via a handset the verfication methods are somewhat limited so if the crook has access to all of the info on a card they can go ahead with the transaction unfortunately and there's not much O2 can do.
(one of my relatives had their card 'skimmed' and someone thought they treat themselves to a couple of things from the T-mobile website, the relative concerned is with O2 as well)

They phoned their issuer and had to sign a declaration but the money was refunded straight away so you are better leaving it to your issuer.

As 3G is now taking off I suppose they could programme the system to prompt you to remove the phone from your ear so the camera could take your picture?
Message 5 of 74

Anonymous
Not applicable
Trouble with this is that when you are topping up via a handset the verfication methods are somewhat limited so if the crook has access to all of the info on a card they can go ahead with the transaction unfortunately and there's not much O2 can do.
(one of my relatives had their card 'skimmed' and someone thought they treat themselves to a couple of things from the T-mobile website, the relative concerned is with O2 as well)
They phoned their issuer and had to sign a declaration but the money was refunded straight away so you are better leaving it to your issuer.
As 3G is now taking off I suppose they could programme the system to prompt you to remove the phone from your ear so the camera could take your picture?

There is a 2-part security check that takes place before a top-up is allowed via a debit/credit card and its not only details relating to the card which is part of the security process.

This is why people need to take care of all of their data and shred important documents instead of just throwing them out into the rubbish.
Message 6 of 74

Anonymous
Not applicable
O2 are fully aware of these fraudulent transactions and have been for years, the following site explains all: http://www.pardoes.com/cellnet/index.html
Perhaps it's time for 02 to revise their security measures?

Perhaps its time for you to stop your spamming of the forum with your pardoes link? Smiley Mad
Message 7 of 74

Anonymous
Not applicable
wink
Message 8 of 74

Anonymous
Not applicable
First of all it's not MY link, it's a site I discovered after googling 02 fraud. I am just a concerned 02 customer, and I am extremely careful with my personal data. I shred all my bills, and have enterprise strength security on my laptop.

Oh and yes keep bumping, this is obviously a widespread problem wink
Message 9 of 74

Anonymous
Not applicable
wink
Message 10 of 74