cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP TOPIC: Fraudulent Transactions - O2 Prepay Slough

Anonymous
Not applicable
Question: I have received my debit/credit card statement and there is a transaction on there which is showing "O2 Prepay Slough" and I haven't done it! What is it for?

Answer: Someone has obtained your card details (and not from O2!) and has used them to buy a O2 top-up.

The reason it has got O2 Slough on your debit/credit card statement is not because the fraud is originating there but is because Slough is where O2's HQ is and all top-up payments are processed there.

When a top-up is bought through one of the automated systems (for example: the top-up line or a web top-up), a number of security questions will be asked and would need to be answered correctly before the top-up is allowed.

If the security questions are answered correctly, then O2 assumes that it is you making the transaction as they haven't got any way in knowing that it isn't you and after all, the security questions have been answered correctly.

This is why it is vitally important to ensure that your card is 100% secure all of the time and this includes not borrowing your card to a family member or friend so that they can make a one-off top-up as your card will then be registered on their O2 Pay & Go account and it would then be easier for them if they wanted to do another top-up in the future.

Please do NOT contact O2 Customer Services as there is absolutely NOTHING that they can do for you. What you need to do is contact your card issuer and report it as fraud and they will then liaise with O2's Fraud and Security Team on your behalf.

Note: Only the card issuer can liaise with O2's Security and Fraud Team and not yourself.

It is then the responsibility of the card issuer to give you a refund and not O2.

Please also have a look at the site here, which gives you very useful information about how to protect yourself against fraud and identity theft.
Message 1 of 74
73 REPLIES 73

Deansy
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi Toby

As I'm new to the community, before I go any further, is your title 'Community Head' confirmation that you are employed by O2 ?

Deansy

Message 71 of 74

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144165 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
None of the community leads are employed directly by o2 but they are working on behalf of o2.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 72 of 74

Abhishah
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, I have been charged 180 pounds by O2 UK pay go slough. It's an unauthorized transaction and it's in pending stages. I need my refund back

Message 73 of 74

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10143 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3004 Solutions

@Abhishah 

Not sure why you reopened a 5 year old thread...

If the transaction is pending o2 do not have your money, the bank still do so you need to speak to them, although it should return if it does in 24hours to 7 days depending on your bank.

If it changes from pending then: YOU  need to contact YOUR bank, and tell them you have a fraudulent transaction on YOUR bank account, and they will got through the necessary processes, and re sissue your debit card.

O2 will not refund this to you directly.

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 74 of 74