cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP TOPIC: Fraudulent Transactions - O2 Prepay Slough

Anonymous
Not applicable
Question: I have received my debit/credit card statement and there is a transaction on there which is showing "O2 Prepay Slough" and I haven't done it! What is it for?

Answer: Someone has obtained your card details (and not from O2!) and has used them to buy a O2 top-up.

The reason it has got O2 Slough on your debit/credit card statement is not because the fraud is originating there but is because Slough is where O2's HQ is and all top-up payments are processed there.

When a top-up is bought through one of the automated systems (for example: the top-up line or a web top-up), a number of security questions will be asked and would need to be answered correctly before the top-up is allowed.

If the security questions are answered correctly, then O2 assumes that it is you making the transaction as they haven't got any way in knowing that it isn't you and after all, the security questions have been answered correctly.

This is why it is vitally important to ensure that your card is 100% secure all of the time and this includes not borrowing your card to a family member or friend so that they can make a one-off top-up as your card will then be registered on their O2 Pay & Go account and it would then be easier for them if they wanted to do another top-up in the future.

Please do NOT contact O2 Customer Services as there is absolutely NOTHING that they can do for you. What you need to do is contact your card issuer and report it as fraud and they will then liaise with O2's Fraud and Security Team on your behalf.

Note: Only the card issuer can liaise with O2's Security and Fraud Team and not yourself.

It is then the responsibility of the card issuer to give you a refund and not O2.

Please also have a look at the site here, which gives you very useful information about how to protect yourself against fraud and identity theft.
Message 1 of 74
73 REPLIES 73

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have just been the victim of the same scam My debit card details were obtained and used through an o2 prepay phone topped up in Slough, then used to clear out my account through a Greek gambling company. I can't believe that the fraud squad are not watching the Slough shop where all these crimes originate. I had no problems getting the money back from the Halifax and o2 promised to investigate fully with my bank.
Message 11 of 74

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have just been the victim of the same scam My debit card details were obtained and used through an o2 prepay phone topped up in Slough, then used to clear out my account through a Greek gambling company. I can't believe that the fraud squad are not watching the Slough shop where all these crimes originate. I had no problems getting the money back from the Halifax and o2 promised to investigate fully with my bank.

They don't originate in the O2 Slough shop. Slough is where O2's HQ is and thats why is says "O2 Slough" on your debit/credit card statement.
Message 12 of 74

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Andy, That helps me to understand why the scam is able to continue.
Message 13 of 74

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Andy, That helps me to understand why the scam is able to continue.

You're welcome. grin
Message 14 of 74

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well it seems that i started a wide topic of conversation relating to fraululent activity on O2 and in particular Top Up from O2 Headquarters in Slough???? :robotindifferent:
It seems to me that both Andy Manchester & Sheepdog :robotindifferent: are very well Informed with regards this problem, and as they have Reminded everyone time & again that we Must be careful with our Personal Details.

I finally got this O2 Scam sorted with my Bank after being told by the Banks Fraud Dept that O2 are well aware that this is happening to Everyone but there's nothing O2 are doing about it, Well howabout Security Investigations into Their Headquarters in Slough? That would be a start as that is where ALL the transactions are being made, Perhaps a check on their Staff maybe? as with all Investigations in the begining they all start with insiders?And that eventually with proof/evidence, leads to criminal proceedings.

I would be interested if O2 has considered taking this next step? :robotindifferent:

What say you andy Manchester & Sheepdog?? :womanindifferent:
Message 15 of 74

Anonymous
Not applicable
O2 are fully aware of these fraudulent transactions and have been for years, the following site explains all: http://www.pardoes.com/cellnet/index.html
Perhaps it's time for 02 to revise their security measures?

Perhaps its time for you to stop your spamming of the forum with your pardoes link? Smiley Mad

The link Andy's not happy about me posting explains this scam in detail. Check out the link above, the site is published by another victim of this fraud over a decade ago!!! You could'nt make it up....
Message 16 of 74

Anonymous
Not applicable
O2 are fully aware of these fraudulent transactions and have been for years, the following site explains all: http://www.pardoes.com/cellnet/index.html
Perhaps it's time for 02 to revise their security measures?

Perhaps its time for you to stop your spamming of the forum with your pardoes link? Smiley Mad

The link Andy's not happy about me posting explains this scam in detail. Check out the link above, the site is published by another victim of this fraud over a decade ago!!! You could'nt make it up....

The thing I am not happy about is you posting the link all over the forums. One link in one post would have been enough but you posted it everywhere and in multiple threads = spamming!
Message 17 of 74

Anonymous
Not applicable
O2 PrePay Slough HQ
by garysue0 on Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:32 am

Well it seems that i started a wide topic of conversation relating to fraululent activity on O2 and in particular Top Up from O2 Headquarters in Slough????
It seems to me that both Andy Manchester & Sheepdog are very well Informed with regards this problem, and as they have Reminded everyone time & again that we Must be careful with our Personal Details.
I finally got this O2 Scam sorted with my Bank after being told by the Banks Fraud Dept that O2 are well aware that this is happening to Everyone but there's nothing O2 are doing about it, Well howabout Security Investigations into Their Headquarters in Slough? That would be a start as that is where ALL the transactions are being made, Perhaps a check on their Staff maybe? as with all Investigations in the begining they all start with insiders?And that eventually with proof/evidence, leads to criminal proceedings.
I would be interested if O2 has considered taking this next step?
What say you andy Manchester & Sheepdog??

garysue0 you misunderstand the problem. This is not fraud perpetrated by O2 staff in Slough, as has been explained already Slough appears on the transaction as this is where O2's head office is registered and there is more than one way to purchase a top up.

This doesn't JUST happen with O2, card fraud is perpetrated with many companies, not all online either now you only need the pin and a cloned card, Chip & Pin doesn't look that secure now does it?

Adding additional layers of security questions might prevent some further fraud but having worked in various customer service roles over the years I can tell you that even giving an account holder's name and a password is too much security for many customers to remember (literacy appears to be at an all time low too).

In relation to what your bank stated around O2 not doing anything about it answer these questions:
Who authorised the transaction?
Who dictates the level of security necessary for O2 to initiate a transaction?

Its in the banks' and retailers/service providers best interests to make it as easy as possible for you to spend the most money whilst maintaining the least amount of security they are legally obliged to.
Message 18 of 74

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have not Misunderstood the problem at all!

the problem is widespread and is a growing concern for everyone.I just brought it up on the Forum to see how many people are being affected by this and what (if anything) was being done to prevent it? It seems Nothing is being done, Still!!
:womanindifferent:
O2 and many other companies should take heed of these warnings,

The Forum is there for people to voice their concerns, opinions and suchlike and if O2 ignore these concerns then they are not a concerned company and only care about the amount of money they make from people.

I too have worked in both IT & Customer Service Roles and tried to make a difference but most companies ignored what was going on as they wanted to meet their targets, so customers concerns were seemed to be ignored!

Still!! this will go on and on, and the forum will still be there with many people adding their messages with No-0ne taking any notice,,, shame!!
Message 19 of 74

Anonymous
Not applicable
wink
Message 20 of 74