cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got text saying I'm eligble for 4G, but it's not showing up in "My O2" bolt ons..

lanceuppercut
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 81 Posts
  • 16 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

The text said I'm eligible for 4G and should have it after June 27 for no extra cost blah blah.  It's 2 days later and I don't see a 4G bolt-on in My O2 and my iPhone 5s (purchased SIM free from the Apple Store in the UK) is still only connecting at 3G speeds.

The only thing I can think of is that I'm still on an old Simplicity 20 contract which has unlimited data.  Clearly I'm not willing to lose my unlimited data or move onto any current O2 contract as the only thing that is really keeping me here is O2 priority combined with the bonus of having unlimited data.

It's not an iPhone tariff as I use mobile.o2.co.uk instead of idata.co.uk

Anyone know what's happening here?

Edit: I think I have a 4G SIM, it got replaced a few months ago and has "4GPP2" on it along with my SIM card number.

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi @lanceuppercut

Their are the new 4G big bundle Payg Tariffs.

I use the £20 which gives me 2GB of Data , 400 mins and 4000 texts.

Just another avenue I thought I'd mention. slight_smile

Although if I was on a Legacy Tariff that's where I'd also stay. wink
Message 11 of 20

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
Just be aware that some legacy users have reported an O2 imposed data cap at 4gb 😞
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 20

jonsie
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

To be honest I could get away with a 2-3gb allowance, I don't normally get anywhere near 4gb even when I intentionally turn wifi off for a week to check what my 'normal' data use would be.

Message 13 of 20

lanceuppercut
  • 81 Posts
  • 16 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Really?  Is there a source for this anywhere?

Message 14 of 20

lanceuppercut
  • 81 Posts
  • 16 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I imagine if I stream using Google Play Music to, from and sometimes during work, I could hit that number quite quickly 😞

Plus the extra speed of 4G won't do that much for me as GPM seems to buffer songs up so even no data connection doesn't cut off the music dead.

Message 15 of 20

MI5
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
You can stream low bit rate music on a 56k gprs connection so 4G won't give any advantages, although that's not what it's designed for - HQ video's and movie streams are more suited to 4G technology.
The data cap has been mentioned on the forum a few times recently but I'm not aware of anything written officially from O2 and to be honest, I doubt they would wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 16 of 20

lanceuppercut
  • 81 Posts
  • 16 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

For my needs, slow and steady (unlimited) wins the race!

Message 17 of 20

MI5
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
As long as you get reasonable 3G speeds there isn't any need for 4G unless you stream movies or indulge in online gaming....

Currently using:
Message 18 of 20

MI5
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
Cheers jonsie slight_smile

Currently using:
Message 20 of 20